On Her Flying Trapeze

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Holding up Three Fingers

In the Past Three Days, this is the person:

sleepreadWho read herself to sleep.

Who breastfed her ducky…with a blanket…because they're her "private breasts."

Who got married, moved into a castle and went house hunting because she and her prince needed a "home" to live in.

Who reported that the washcloth was dead because it was dried out and crusty. She then told me that if she put it in the water, it would take all the dead off because Jesus gave us the water AND the bathtub.

water

Who jumped up into her car seat and proudly told me that she is the "fastest person in the world."

park2

Who just ate a tablespoon of butter before I had a chance to stop her, grinned and said, "Now it's stuck in my body and you can't get it."

pony spikeWho told me Jesus wants me to let her wear big-girl underwear all night long (she knew I'd never go along with it if SHE asked me).

Who asked if "Bob Marley is a little girl."

Who says she's "pretty nervous about the moon."

Who struck up a conversation with our be-pierced Target cashier today and as we left told me, "I think she pretty loves me."


In the Past Three Years, this is the person:

Who made me cry like a baby the first time I saw her.

new baby

Who makes me giggle with glee and delight every hour she's awake.

Who makes fun of the way I dress.

Who, when asked what she's doing, answers, "Just Chillin'"

gangsta

Who started "giving rock" when other people's kids were giving "five."

Who knew over a hundred words at her 18-month check-up.

with dad

Who says "okayluvyoububye" and hangs up on you when she doesn't feel like talking anymore.

Who is a princess.

sad oneWho went pee in the potty for the first time in July of 2004 and became potty trained…mostly…last week.

Who has her moments.

Who won the hearts of everyone in London to the extent that a proctor in Westminster Abbey (where no photography is allowed) took us behind a roped-in area and let us take a quick picture on Queen Elizabeth's chair because Laylee was such a "gorgeous baby" (insert British accent here).

queens chair


Who asks me if I'm "saturated" when I finish eating a big meal.

Who has the best imagination around.

Who spontaneously tells people she loves them.

Who scares me.

Who loves and cares for her brother.

graduationWho makes me work harder, play harder and care more than I ever knew I could.

This is a terribly incomplete list of all the things that make Laylee who she is. Since we don't use our kids' real names or exact birth dates on this blog and she "turned 3" January 1st, this is her "birthday" post. We love her. She is darling, hilarious, sweet and wonderful. We couldn't have picked a better one.





island



Yes, today was better.

30 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh dear. And you are the person who makes ME cry like a baby!

That was really sweet.

2/09/2006 5:17 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

Oh, Kathryn- this was beautiful! Yay for Laylee! I think I have come to terms with never having children of my own, but this makes me think about what could have been... children are precious and wonderful and yes, they can drive you nuts. It is truly an honor and priviledge to have children and a blessing as well. You have a wonderful family!

2/09/2006 5:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad it was a better day. As one who has always believed that our children are our greatest joy, but can also be our biggest source of sorrow and frustration; it comforts me to look at the big picture and feel certain that the joy far outweighs the sadness. This post is confirmation of that. Hang on to that thought when she is a "screaming ball of chaos". It will happen less and less now that she's 3.

I can't believe how easy it is to love that child. All of the pictures and scenerios brought back wonderful memories for me. Thanks for the memories!

okayluvyoububye.

2/09/2006 5:35 AM

 
Blogger blackbird said...

This is a lovely, loving, beautiful birthday post...

woot for the better day.

2/09/2006 5:45 AM

 
Blogger Woman with Kids said...

She sounds adorable. And wonderful. Aren't kids incrediable? They push you right to the edge and then (thankfully) do something to remind you just why you love them so much.

2/09/2006 6:00 AM

 
Blogger Heth said...

Oh, she sounds just HILARIOUS! Happy Birthday to Laylee.

"Now it's stuck in my body and you can't get it."
Cracks. Me. Up.

2/09/2006 6:31 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that was the sweetest post ever. And hilarious, too. My favorite part had to be the "pretty nervous about the moon" comment, though the picture of her with the faucet is professional quality portrait photography. I hope you show her this post someday when she can appreciate it.

2/09/2006 7:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH! You made my love my kids all over again!

What a darling child!

2/09/2006 7:02 AM

 
Blogger Heather said...

so sweet! Make sure you print that out and put it in her baby book!
My little 3 year old is almost a 4 years old, the third year is fun, full of all sorts of explanations (like your washcloth one).
Yesterday PJ came up to me, put his arms around me and said "I like you a lot because your big and tall". They crack me up sometimes. Happy Sweet 3 to Laylee!

2/09/2006 7:28 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

She is precious. P r e c i o u s.

2/09/2006 7:35 AM

 
Blogger Goslyn said...

What a fantastic post. Making me laugh and tear up at the same time. Quite a talent you have there :)

Happy 3rd birthday to Princess Snow.

2/09/2006 7:36 AM

 
Blogger Carbon said...

Well Happy 3rd Bday! Very sweet tribute.

2/09/2006 7:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah. I miss that kid so dang much! She is my favorite. Happy Birthday, Laylee! :)

2/09/2006 8:02 AM

 
Blogger Sugarmama said...

Laylee sounds like an absolutely wonderful little girl, and she IS gorgeous. I love to hear about kidspeak, especially the part where she's pretty nervous about the moon. So sweet.

2/09/2006 8:02 AM

 
Blogger emlouisa said...

Awwww, Thanks so much for sharing! What a cute little girl! I want a girl!!!!

2/09/2006 9:18 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post. Happy Birthday to Laylee!

2/09/2006 9:19 AM

 
Blogger Tigersue said...

What a great post. You really make me think about my children, the ones nearly grown adults, and my two little angels. You have an amazing gift for words and expression. Thankyou for your thoughts. Your site is becoming one of my favorites to visit.

2/09/2006 9:22 AM

 
Blogger andrea said...

Beautiful post. You and Belinda are helping me re-live my kids' toddlerhood with your hilatrious and touching observations, and I'm so thankful for that because it will never come again! (*starts bawling*)

2/09/2006 10:42 AM

 
Blogger Amber said...

Happy Three!! Yay for birthdays. I'm glad today was better, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who has hard days with my three year old (who just stayed dry all day for the first time yesterday and we've been potty training for a hundred years- at least that's what it feels like).

2/09/2006 11:06 AM

 
Blogger bon said...

kids... they make you heart get sooooo big, and drippy.

2/09/2006 12:33 PM

 
Blogger Notes from the Trenches said...

That was a fabulous post about your daughter. It brought tears to my eyes and then made me laugh out loud. The washcloth killed me.

2/09/2006 1:29 PM

 
Blogger sweet mama entropy said...

I love baby birthday posts. Yours was no exception!

Isn't it funny how kids make us wax poetic and lose our minds at the same time?

Laylee is just precious. Congrats on surviving (and doing a great job during) her first three years, DYM. It gets easier after this, right? Please say yes...

2/09/2006 1:58 PM

 
Blogger Ortensia Norton said...

What a lovely little spirit you have have. And spirit she has hey?? Glad today was better.

2/09/2006 2:08 PM

 
Blogger Susan said...

Hooray for Laylee and for being three! But please tell her not to e-mail Charlie about Jesus saying she can wear big-girl underwear to bed. We told him that God wanted Mommy not to have to strip his bed at 3:00 am any more.

Amen.

2/09/2006 2:27 PM

 
Blogger Elena LaVictoire said...

She sounds wonderful at 3! I'll bet it will be quite something to know her at 13!!

2/09/2006 3:18 PM

 
Blogger Pilgrim said...

You're a rich woman! Many happy returns.

2/09/2006 4:01 PM

 
Blogger Chilihead2 said...

Too, too, too adorable.

2/09/2006 6:15 PM

 
Blogger Lee said...

What an amazing little girl you have! They are sure precious.

2/09/2006 10:19 PM

 
Blogger Peter said...

I find myself welling up. Don't want to start crying here in the office. My Merry fills me full of the same emotions, and wonder. My favorite is when she tenses up and lets out with "Oooo.. I am getting soo frustrated" I feel for her frustration but inside I am laughing. Her little brother frustrates her often.

2/10/2006 7:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute.

2/12/2006 7:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home