On Her Flying Trapeze

Friday, February 03, 2006

If I'll be the Ring Master, Will You be the Gate Keeper?

I've been planning to launch a new web ring for a while now. A few people have already joined but I've been waiting to announce it publicly until the BoBs were decided.

I figured that if I were in the top three, I'd get a lot of traffic the day the awards were announced and if not, I could post about the ring and it would look like a whiny loser's angst-ridden attempt at gaining popularity and friendship, which is also very cool.

There are a lot of great web rings out there. There are several great ones for mothers, but they are open only to women with children.

I've seen so much motherly, nurturing advice and love from my blogging friends, many of whom have not actually given birth to children. So, I decided to start a ring for all women who see themselves as nurturers or in a motherly role. I want the ring to be full of fun, clean, and uplifting blogs by great women.

Karli, from Mom on a Wire, came up with the ring name, Cirque des Mamans.

A note on how rings work:
Joining a web ring is adding yourself to a listing of blogs, centered around a specific theme or topic.

When you join the ring, you are asked to put code on your site. Our ring code looks like this:

«»
Powered by RingSurf

The "des Mamans" button takes you to the ring's main page, which is super-duper ugly and plain at the moment, but tells you what you need to know about joining and lists the current members with links to their sites.

The arrows on either side work like the "next blog" button in Blogger. They take you to the next ring member's blog so you can surf through the ring by clicking on the arrows on each person's blog.

There are several blogs I read that wouldn't fit with this group and I don't want anyone to feel pressure to join. It's sure fun though, if you feel like joining us.

I also wanted to let you know that DYM is currently the second hit on an MSN SEARCH for:

dog bounty hunter mullet wig

Honestly, could you BE in better company?

15 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Umm... no. I couldn't be in better company. That is why I come here. ;)

2/03/2006 3:21 PM

 
Blogger blackbird said...

um, GLAD explained it.

cause, I, uh, spent twenty minutes trying to get those arrows out of my button as I thought they were not supposed to be there.
and, since I am bad with the html?
this wreaked havoc on my template for a while...

you might want to reconsider inviting me.

2/03/2006 3:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so honored to be apart of the ring!

ALSO...at least you don't get at least 25 hits a day (ok, maybe slight exaggeration) from people searching Google for "How to make my house smell good". I posted ONCE about my house needed to smell good or I freak and now the WHOLE planet knows it.

Also, someone found me searching for "my sister is a ho." Sad. Very sad.

2/03/2006 5:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

woot. i've got ring status.

2/03/2006 8:00 PM

 
Blogger Heather said...

Um, already joined. Love the web ring.

2/03/2006 9:30 PM

 
Blogger emlouisa said...

Okay, I tried to join but added too many http// things to my url and didn't realize it until it was too late. I hope that wasn't a test to weed out the stupid people because I dont' think I passed.

2/03/2006 10:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, blog searches! Always love to see what leads people to others' sites. Heck, I like to see what leads them to my site, too. Best part of Statcounter.

And I'm really enjoying being part of des Mamans. So glad it's open to future mothers (no, don't get excited; it'll be a few years) instead of just current ones.

2/03/2006 10:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally open to being the gatekeeper! Can we make out now ???

I'm in the ring.

2/03/2006 11:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one ever finds my site through fun ways. (whine whine) I want someone to find me by googling something weird! All I get is "thesilentk" or "the silent k" once I was found by someone googling my infant son's name. Not very exciting.

Once I was found by someone typing "nano sex" and I got all excited until I realized that Nanosex is one of the bloggers doing the artists way with me. Damnit.

Maybe one day I too can join the "I'm werid and everyone knows it because of google" club, but until then, I patiently wait.

2/04/2006 4:54 AM

 
Blogger andrea said...

I have two kids, two dogs, one cat and have been a teacher, but I don't have a mom blog! I may just cry.

2/04/2006 8:52 AM

 
Blogger Susan said...

This may reveal my essential dorkiness, but I got a little weepy when I read this. Because you're just so NICE and I just love that you want to share the niceness. And the love.

Sheesh. I'm in. But I need a tissue now . . .

2/04/2006 12:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NOW you're the number 1 hit!!! congrats!!!

2/05/2006 12:50 PM

 
Blogger Regina said...

I am one of those bloggers out there who have not had children but was invited to join the list by DYM- and I was flattered needless to say. At first I didn't feel worthy to join, but DYM convinced me and I am very proud to be a part of such a special list of women. Thanks, DYM!

2/05/2006 1:05 PM

 
Blogger Patti said...

I am in! And Moonface, I feel your pain. I really hope my blog Rocks. In a Guns n' Roses kind of way, or even a Michael Jackson "Rock with You" kind of way.

DYM - I really love your blog. It is above and beyond GNR and Michael Jackson. It is definitely a Led Zeppelin or Nirvana level. At least in my book of Rocking Music and Blogs.

2/06/2006 4:57 PM

 
Blogger Amber said...

I joined I think- is that cool? Like I need more addictions- but apparently I do since I keep looking for them.

2/07/2006 2:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home