On Her Flying Trapeze

Thursday, November 17, 2005

There Was no Pride. Prejudice? Maybe.

sableLast night was girl’s night out and I think some of the girls were prejudiced against my baby-blue sedan and its lack of sweet hydraulics or woofer-enhanced system. This car pre-dates my entrance into college but it’s just so “roomy” and “comfortable.” Ladies night would not be complete without The Flying Smurf.

We cruised down Main Street Suburbia with the gangsta rap of our high school days playing on the stereo. The gangsta lean was out in force as well as the giggling. Oh, there was giggling. And also crying.

shirleyThe first round of crying occurred shortly after we arrived at Claim Jumper for desert and Shirley Temples (thanks to Karli for inciting this beverage revolution). I got a call from DY Dad.





apple pieDan: Are you at the movie yet?
Me: No, we’re just starting desert? (Mad giggling and way too fast talking in the background)
Dan: Something-I-couldn’t-hear…..crying.
Me: Magoo’s crying?
Dan: NO, EV-ER-Y-ONE is CRYING. Do you know where Ducky is?

This is the bed-time kiss of death. If everyone’s already crying, and there’s no Ducky, you are a goner. I gave some suggestions, offered some words of comfort but there wasn’t much I could do from there. Eventually he found ducky....wrapped in a blanket...in an upturned stepstool.....in our bedroom.....with a book on top of it. He is a hero of fatherness.

tearsThe second through 100th rounds of crying occurred throughout the movie. Ah! Pride and Prejudice condensed into 2 hours of romance and repressed passion. Is it possible? Is it even safe? We laughed, we cried, we grabbed each other’s arms and tried to hold in our screams of glee. It was AWESOME!

Proposal…..under pillars…. covered in moss…..in the RAIN……. with pride and anger that almost leads to a make-out session? This never happens in real life but I think it will now happen in my NANOWRIMO book.

feetWe had the best seats, seats where you can put your feet up on the railing and take pictures of them with your cell phone camera.

The cinematography was great, adaptation excellent, somehow magically paced slowly enough to maintain the spirit of the book but still cram everything into 2 hours. Go see it. Go see it now. Children, schmildren!


watchingFor this outing, I carried a purse so small it couldn’t possibly contain a diaper, wipes, sippy cup, crayons, changes of clothes, snack-foods, flashlight, Leatherman, hats, sunscreen, teething rings, half-eaten peanut butter sandwiches or Ziploc baggies.

walletIt wouldn’t even fit my wallet so I had to grab a couple of cards, some cash and shove them into the Chick’s Rule wallet. Nice!

I wore hair jewelry, piggy tales and loads of faux bling. Despite the fact that I forgot my eye glitter, the teenage boy at the counter asked me if I was a student. I so wanted to say, “Yeah, I go to Suburbia High but I, like, forgot my ID. Can I, like, get a discount anyway? Juniors rule!” followed by the mad batting of glitter encrusted eyelashes. Instead, I laughed and said, “You should ask my kids,” and forked over the 9 bucks.

Karen and a few others have recently hinted at the fact that they may be too old to wear the Daring Young Mom gear. I consider anyone a Daring Young Mom until they gracefully make the transition to Daring Young Grandma. It’s all in the ‘tude ladies, all in the ‘tude.

nosesThe scene that inspired the most crying in our group involved a painfully (in a good way) long walk by Mr. Darcy through the mist to Elizabeth Bennet where they professed their love and then consummated it by tenderly touching noses as the sun rose over the English country side.

Movies like this always remind me of Dan’s and my romantical and dramatic courtship. The repressed passion, the rain, the nose touching! It made me want to go home and just really squidge him and Eskimo kiss him for hours on end.

weddingI won’t tell you if he was awake when I got home or whether any nasal contact was made. (I will say that I live in a damp climate and had to approach the house through the mist at 12:30am).

I just really like him a lot. I’m so glad to be married to a man who Mr. Darcy makes me glad to rush home to.




(For another perspective on this evening, see Eulallia's post.)

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Awwwww, that wedding picture is wonderful! You both look so sweet and romantic. Love the dress too. I looks like one I almost bought back in the day. When I was young. Not old. Not almost thirty.

11/17/2005 1:21 PM

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

Was it good then? The review I read was not very complimentary.

Glad you had fun, and glad that Ducky was found safe.

11/17/2005 1:48 PM

 
Blogger Heather said...

Karen, you must shut it about almost thirty being old. :) When I turned 29 earlier this year, I told someone my age, and they said knowingly, "Oh, again?" RRRRRRARRR! Anyway, Kate, I'm so excited that it's good. I, like Steph, had heard it was going to bite. I'm SO relieved, cause I wanted to see it anyway.

11/17/2005 1:54 PM

 
Blogger blackbird said...

first of all, I must say that I will take your advice to heart and have K take me to see this film -- even though I know he has a crush on what's her name.
second of all...that picture! gah.

11/17/2005 1:59 PM

 
Blogger halloweenlover said...

I love the picture! Beautiful!!!

What a great night. It sounds like you have such fun friends!

11/17/2005 3:04 PM

 
Blogger bon said...

I am SO gonna go see that movie... only now? Now I am FAINTING to see it! My Mom's in town to help with the babay, and we are GOING! WOOOOHOO!

ummm... hello. I'm thirty six, and no where NEAR old.

11/17/2005 9:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As here-to-fore previously said on many occasions: "I will not be sucked in by your praises of this drivel. I will be strong in my resolve."

Harry on the other hand is on the schedule for tonight.

11/18/2005 5:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will absolutely be "sucked in by your praises of this drivel" if I can just find a girlfriend to go with. Obviously the Dad is out as a companion for this excursion.

BTW - I think DY Dad is the greatest! A while ago Megan made a comment about him, that made reference to how great it is be married to a nerd. What everyone from outside of our family needs to understand is that for us - - - that is a meaningful term of endearment (not a put down on any level) It means this person is steady and dependable, not a "fly by night flashy boy". This one is a keeper - someone who is steady and we can trust and depend on them. I'm proud to be considered a nerd by this group. We all love DY Dad and want everyone to know it!

11/18/2005 8:25 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought you should know that the new grandma who is visiting upstairs stated that your blog "made her proud". She told the "daring thirty something new parents" that she was proud of them last night too...but because we produced grandchild #1. You are in exceptional company! We are taking full advantage of grandma and are off to see Harry. Tell "C" we will play this weekend!

11/18/2005 5:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my amazingness. I can't even tell you how much I LOVED that movie. And you guys are soooo cute! Sigh.

11/21/2005 7:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katherine,

I have to say I love your blog. I love that you see the world with eyes that are so alive, the tranny on 12th street was really poignant, and you've inspired me to have a girls night out...now if I could find some around here.

luv,
Julia

11/21/2005 9:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home