On Her Flying Trapeze

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Daniel’s-Son, Starting Solids He Is

Boys are different than girls. My first indication of this (okay, not my first) was when Magoo started wetting through his clothes but not his diaper. Laylee did not have the gift of aim in her diaper escapades and I am fascinated by this ability.

He is also much more physically strong and active than she was at this age and has far better reflexes. This could possibly be because he was born a toddler.

solidsExample: Yesterday we started him on solids. Unlike the Laylee who took 2 weeks of daily attempts before she would swallow anything, Magoo swallowed his first bite and was eager for more. The problem is, he wants to feed himself.

You’d think I could feed a wee infant without splattering rice cereal all over the state of Washington and I could if it weren’t for his cat-like speed and reflexes. He sits patiently until I get the spoon one centimeter from his mouth and then with lightning speed, he whips his hand up from his lap and grabs the handle of the spoon just as I’m about to insert the goods. Great cunning, he has. (Did Mr. Miyagi talk like this too or was it just Yoda?)

The way he does it, the speed and concentration it takes, reminds me of the Karate Kid catching flies with chopsticks. His eyes, tracking the spoon. Wait for it….wait for it….ah HA!

And maybe he will be good with the chopsticks when he gets to the stage of maturity where children are allowed to play with pointy sticks (I’m not to that chapter yet in the What to Expect series). It’s in his blood.

I spent an entire year of college using chopsticks because I had a roommate who had been a missionary in Taiwan, had zillions of them and we were all too cheap to buy silverware. Pie, ice cream, spaghetti, breakfast cereal, you name it, we ate it with chopsticks (Actually, you don’t have to name it. That’s pretty much all we ate that year.).

daniel sonDY Daniel-Son is quite skilled with a chopstick himself. He also speaks the Chinese which makes him just about the most attractive chopstick-usin’ white guy around. We took this picture at the beach last July. Your name’s Daniel, there’s a log sticking up out of the ocean, the sun’s setting, what are you gonna do, I mean really?

Now to Magoo I have this to say:
You are adorable and I love and like you with a fervent motherly likishness, but if you keep this up I am just ruthless enough to “sweep the leg,” if yaknowaImsayin…….or at least, strap your arms to your sides with duct tape. Oh, the indignity. When we’re done with that, you can use your pent up energy and frustration to sand the floor, paint the fence and wax my car. It’s the green one in the garage.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew there was a reason why you took that picture last July. It was perfect for this post. BTW Daniel-son is adorable and you are hilarious.

11/16/2005 5:16 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is quite a cutie! (Magoo, I mean.)

11/16/2005 5:17 AM

 
Blogger Squishy Burrito said...

All I have to say is...centimeter...you are a true Canadian.

11/16/2005 6:04 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

"Cool" used to lunge at the spoon with his mouth wide open when I tried to spoon it to him. It would unintentionally gag him at the back of the throat. He ate cereal voraciously.

He seriously looks like your dad. Uncanny.

11/16/2005 9:20 AM

 
Blogger Heather said...

I want to squish Magoo. I want him squished by me. :) He is so cute!

11/16/2005 1:37 PM

 
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

"Cool" looks like my dad? That is uncanny!

11/16/2005 8:32 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh brother. Pardon the poor writing skills. :)

11/17/2005 9:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home