On Her Flying Trapeze

Monday, November 14, 2005

Should I toss my cookies?

I’m not quite sure what to do with them.

cookies

I attended BYU film school in the late 90s and early 2000s and then worked for a couple of years supervising the Media Department of the local public library where all us film geeks came to get our fix. (It is an amazing library with a HUGE film collection, the perfect job for a film/English graduate who loves libraries.)

totsConsequently, I have several friends and acquaintances who were involved in the making of a certain teenage cult classic that came out in the summer of 2004.

Long story short, I ended up with several cookies, bearing the faces of the film’s main characters. According to a very reliable source, the cookies were part of a gift basket given to the film’s director by a major motion picture studio when the distribution deal was signed.

I’m not sure what to do with these. They’ve been sitting in my closet in a bubble envelope for over a year. The ink on the frosting is darkening and turning a greenish color. A few characters are crumbling (luckily Kip, LaFawnduh and Pedro are still intact. Phew!) and they’re way past the edible phase.

When I got them, I laughed for about an hour but couldn’t bring myself to eat them.

So they went in the closet.

Now I’m de-junking my house and I keep coming back to the envelope, unsure what to do.

In reality, they are just a crumbling pile of flour and sugar.

Symbolically, they’re the piece I got of all the adventures my friends are having out in the industry “making a go of it” while I make my living as the mother of two awesome kids.

I spoke to one of these friends a couple of days ago, who’s been encouraging me to get involved in my craft out here in Seattle.

So today I made first contact with a man I’ve been planning to film a documentary about for over a year. We’ll see how that turns out. I’ll keep you posted.

But back to the cookies. What should I do with them? I know there is some fanatical fan out there somewhere who’d be willing to pay mega bucks for them. After-all, people are bidding like crazy to buy things like Brittany Spears’s chewing gum.

But I can’t bring myself to sell them either. Then I’m just a sellout, capitalizing on my friends’ success and pretty much an all round dork. I also don’t like the idea of being sued by Fox.

I guess they’ll stay in my closet until I can think of something to do with them or until I finish my film. Maybe then I’ll be able to let go.

11 Comments:

Blogger blackbird said...

could you "donate them?"

11/14/2005 2:56 PM

 
Blogger blackbird said...

move those quotes for me wouldya?
I've got a headache.

11/14/2005 2:57 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

You should, like, totally eBay them.

11/14/2005 3:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would be inclined to look into preserving them--perhaps casting them in clear plastic blocks. Then they would be easier to save, and easier to dump on eBay. Before trying this, I would look into whether encapsulation would stave off decomposition, or what other effects it might have on them (as in, maybe like destroy them?)...

11/14/2005 4:38 PM

 
Blogger Squishy Burrito said...

Got Milk

11/14/2005 7:41 PM

 
Blogger bon said...

what's the good of having successful friends if you can't make a buck or two off of 'em?

hm. put that way i see your hesitation, still...

11/14/2005 7:57 PM

 
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

If Pops could only design a method for this preservation, I think I'd be set.

11/15/2005 12:05 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being the world-class tosser that I am, I say sell them or pitch them before ants or other unseemly beasties take up residence in your claset to keep them company.

11/15/2005 4:46 AM

 
Blogger Amanda G. said...

ebay all the way. People will buy anything - Ellen bought a smiley faced potato chip -- shirley, somone would buy these.

11/15/2005 8:13 AM

 
Blogger Squishy Burrito said...

I'm sure your friends wouldn't mind you capitalizing on their fame if you used it help your project. Use the money you would make on your documentary and let films support each other.

11/15/2005 11:25 AM

 
Blogger Heather said...

You so cannot get rid of those. I got those for you all the way from Utah! :)

11/15/2005 11:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home