On Her Flying Trapeze

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

LoveFest Part 1 - Heads In the Clouds

v needleMeet me at the top of the Space Needle on Valentine's Day?

Okay. I just did. Where were you?

So Valentine's dinner in the rotating restaurant atop the Space Needle will run you a flat $95 per person before tax and gratuity (A tip is what you pay at Denny's.)

We thought this would be quite romantic but decided to go for lunch instead. Lunch is reasonable. At lunch, a burger only costs $24 dollars and it comes with free french fries and a bed of lettuce. I think they even throw in a tomato. Very doable. I'm surprised we don't go there all the time.

v menu

Dan and I drove downtown, listening to Kelly Clarkson sing songs of teenage pop star angst and betrayal. Mucho romantico. We used the sweet Valet parking at the foot of the Needle and headed in to the front desk where we were given our "boarding passes" to the Sky City Restaurant (I know, very "George Jetson-esque" was this date.)

tourguide

We then rode up 520 feet in the glass elevator with a be-purple-vested man who described himself as our 41-second tour guide.

v view

Once we were seated, I started taking pictures like mad. The main problem I had was trying to get a good shot of the skyline. For the life of me, I could not find the Space Needle. It seriously took me a couple of seconds to realize I was in it.

v look

Our waitress said she recognized me from somewhere and my immediate thought was…."She must read my BLOG!" Um….I'm glad now that I didn't suggest that. I can just imagine it. "What's a bl-og?" "Um…never mind." I don't know. Hundreds of people world-wide read this blog. There's a chance that my waitress was randomly a reader…right? Okay, I'm a loser. Moving on.

v drinkWhat's the deal with Ciabatta bread? It's everywhere and I have no idea why. A year ago, I had never heard of the stuff and now it's taking over the world. I don't even think it's all that great. Let's put it this way - If Ciabatta bread were running for President, I'd probably vote for Ralph Nader.

Dan asked if the burger was anything special and the waitress said, "It's made with premium GROUND beef." Ooooo, the big sell. This burger is made with GROUND BEEF! Get OUT!

She then sealed the deal by saying, "Everyone's gotta try a $24 hamburger once in their life, right?"

Yes, yes they do.

v burger

I chose the Rare Ahi with Wasabi Mashed Potatoes and Baby Bok Choy. Delicioso. Delicioso and Daring. This menu option had an asterisk that warned that eating it would increase my risk of foodborne illness.

v ahi

It also had a Wasabi garnish around the outside which I took to be some sort of avocado paste but was actually a burning goo of torture and death. DO NOT EAT A LARGE FORKFULL OF WASABI - EVER.

v salt

The waitress brought us a small bowl of salt with a tiny spoon (I guess shakers are things you use at Denny's).

v view2

During the course of the meal we rotated twice around the space needle. The lady at the table next to us was wearing the same red turtle neck I was planning on wearing but decided against last minute. Phew! That was close. Instead I went with a black ensemble with subtle pink highlights.

v view3


v karliLater last night Karli came over to deliver a Valentine's treat and medical supplies (see LoveFest Part 2), wearing THE SAME THING. No, this was not planned. Weird, huh?

During the meal, Dan noticed what looked like some WI-FI antennas so I tried to hack into the Space Needle secret death ray detonation system with my PDA. It was a no-go. Seattle is still intact.

I resisted the urge to make "that noise" on the rim of my crystal glass.

Dan and I discussed whether it was better to tip your valet before or after he takes your car. If you tip him before, he may take better care of it. When my parents lived in South America as spies for the Canadian government (Oops! Was I not supposed to mention that?) people used to always offer to "watch their car." This meant, "if you don't give me money, you will no longer have a car when you get back."

If you tip him after, then I don't know what, but I think you're supposed to tip him after. Who knows? Is it you?

Dan gave me some chocolates and a card that made me cry in a good way.

v couple

We ordered the Exploding Fog Lunar Module Sundae desert which is ice cream with a whole lot of theatrics and a peppermint sprig.

v lunar

v flowersI dropped him back at MegaCorp and headed home where I found lovely flowers waiting for me on the doorstep with a note that read, "I love my sweetheart!" Delivered flowers are just so uber-cool.

What a fun and romantic day!

Whilst taking pictures of said gorgeous delivered flowers on the doorstep…….(please see next post)

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is your funniest post yet. I was cracking up the whole way. Glad you had such a good time!

2/15/2006 3:28 PM

 
Blogger Papa said...

I love wasabi, and had I been there, I would have known not to eat a large fork full. I hope your sinues have recovered.

2/15/2006 3:37 PM

 
Blogger Heth said...

Sounds like a fabulous time and you hair looked great too.

2/15/2006 4:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks and sounds like an amazing afternoon. I was also looking at the skyline picture to find the space needle, even after reading that's where you were eating. :-)

2/15/2006 4:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"burning goo of torture and death"

That is my new favorite phrase.

2/15/2006 4:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, sorry- favoUrite

2/15/2006 4:17 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Ah yes, the "gratoooty". I think I am a Denny's girl at heart.

What a fun date!! I love the pictures and your hair looks smashing!

2/15/2006 4:38 PM

 
Blogger blackbird said...

I could never eat in a rotating restaurant in the clouds!
I'd die!

I could easily eat a $24 hamburger.
With cheese.

What a nice date.

2/15/2006 4:55 PM

 
Blogger Linsey Farley Jameson said...

It all sounds great, but were there any "looks"???

Sounds like a lot of fun. And I am glad you cried in a good way...phew! ;-)

2/15/2006 4:55 PM

 
Blogger Patti said...

Wow. It looked amazing. Crying in a good way is awesome!

Hilarious!

2/15/2006 5:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful day... hurry up and post Part II, I'm holding my breath here. :)

2/15/2006 5:40 PM

 
Blogger Tigersue said...

When I was little and living in Calgary, the tower was at the time called the "Husky Tower", I couldn't say Husky, but called it the "Lucky Tower". My Grandpa would never go up the elevator, until one year I wanted to go there for my birthday. Tells you how much he loved me, because he went up for his little Granddaughter. :)
Glad you had a nice night. IT was a quiet valentines for me! My husband had to work late, and with sick kids, Whats Romance? :)

2/15/2006 5:41 PM

 
Blogger Susan said...

WHERE IS PART TWO? It looks from the pictures like you have all your limbs intact--was this a mullet-related mishap? I'm on the edge of my seat here!

And--ciabatta bread running for president is funny. However, I would vote for it solely because it probably wouldn't ACCIDENTALLY SHOOT anyone.

Happy Day After Valentine's Day! Now get to Part II.

2/15/2006 5:49 PM

 
Blogger Regina said...

Wow- that is so romantic- sounds a lot better than my Valentine's Day! I'd have to agree with blackbird though- if the restaurant was rotating while I was eating, there would be lots of hurling going on... tee hee...

2/15/2006 5:53 PM

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

Ahhh, the wasabi blob.

My dad ate some once (my sister and I knew better) and you should have seen his face!

Ha ha ha.

2/15/2006 6:04 PM

 
Blogger Rachelle said...

You make me laugh. Sounds like a blast. Do you still have to pay to go up to the top or is that free if you eat in the restaurant?

2/15/2006 6:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to try that dessert!

We once went for sushi with friends, and their two-year-old leaned over to my son's plate, seized the little green ball of wasabi and popped it into his mouth.
I do believe he's cured from stealing food now. I think it took them two days to persuade him to eat anything, ever again.

2/15/2006 7:07 PM

 
Blogger Grammy said...

It sounds lovely. Once again the DYD wins "brownie points" with me BIG TIME for treating my baby so well. It's easy to love a son-in-law who loves your daughter.

2/15/2006 7:07 PM

 
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

The trip to the top is "free" with your $24 hamburger so we REALLY got a steal.

2/15/2006 7:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, you're hair looks fantastic! No mullet do I see!

Second, why in the heck is Karli wearing flip flops? Don't you have winter in Seattle?????

:)

2/15/2006 7:39 PM

 
Blogger Lei said...

Love the pictures (quite the photographer you are)! And your commentary - hilarious. Eagerly awaiting part 2 (so get on it already)! ;-)

2/15/2006 9:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah I live vicariously through you... That sundae looks crazy.

2/16/2006 6:35 AM

 
Blogger smart mama said...

nice presentations-- its alla bour effect-i think all desserts taste better when served with dry ice,sparklers, oe anything glittery...

2/16/2006 7:02 AM

 
Blogger CarpeDM said...

It took me a few minutes to figure out where you live...you'd think the Space Needle would be a give away. Sigh. I am a dork.

$24 for a hamburger? Yeah, I'll stick with Denny's. Although that ice cream looks pretty dang good.

And your post made me laugh out loud which leads to having to explain things to my coworkers.

2/16/2006 8:44 AM

 
Blogger andrea said...

The last time I was on the space needle was as a kid in the (dare I say it?) 1970s. The view is the same ... but more so. Nice VD, daring young lovers.

2/16/2006 11:38 AM

 
Blogger Kathy said...

oh how i miss the Needle de la Space! I lived in Bellevue and we used to make trips there with visitors- jealousy. sounds like you had a great date - until post 2...

where i live now, you'd have to buy at least 12 hamburgers to spend that much - i miss the fancy shmanciness of the big city.

ho hum.

2/16/2006 12:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home