On Her Flying Trapeze

Monday, January 16, 2006

Who Cares?

parkingToday I got the sweetest parking spot in the history of ever at the grocery store. (No, I did not park in the handicapped parking. How rude of you to ask! Bad hair is not considered a mobility impairment.)

It was the uber-dy bestest parking spot in all the land and there we were, me, Vinny and the munchkins. I didn't want to get out of the car. In fact, with a spot like that, I pretty much decided to make the Grocery Mart parking lot my home.

You may be asking yourself, "Why do I care that you got the best ever-living should-be-reserved-for-the-mobility-impaired parking space EVER?"

I'm asking myself the same thing, "Why do these people care about my parking spot? Or how many blankets it takes to suffocate Magoo? My kids' poop? My post partum drama? What my husband and I talk about when it's WAY too late at night? How we got the train? My fish?"

Blogs are weird.

Why do I care that Shannon needs to get out more? That Blackbird's kid just got his braces off? That Beth has a mom you wish you lived next door to? Or that Mel had the best Christmas Card photo ever?

Is it ridiculous that I really want to know how Angela or Jessica met their husbands? If Regina really looks bad in hats? How old Katy actually is? What kind of scary MacDonald's Lou attends? (can you say "attends" when you're talking about a fast food joint?)

And yet, I can't stop. Heck, they wouldn't post it if they didn't want me to read it, right?

Blogging keeps me connected with friends old and friends new. It lets me think I can write, giving me confidence to carry on with other projects. It gives me a void to send my thoughts out into and sometimes I get a response that affirms me or encourages me to do a 360.

It's a show-and-tell, a therapy, a vice, an art-form, a documentary, a support group and a venting session all rolled into one.

bloggin


Blog on, my friends.

21 Comments:

Blogger Sugarmama said...

Nice, validating post, Daring One--thanks! And I LOVE the photo.

1/16/2006 7:25 PM

 
Blogger Heth said...

Look at your clean carpet! She blogs regularly AND her house is sparkling.

1/16/2006 7:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny, I often care more about people I meet online than those in real life. I guess, because, online...well, people are more real.The realness makes it worthwhile.

1/16/2006 8:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you so much for your permission. been loving you lately.

1/16/2006 8:23 PM

 
Blogger elliespen said...

I think there was actually a novel that came out a few years back about a man who would never give up his good parking spots. (My old college almost-roommate Erin referred to them as "celestial parking.") Once he got a good spot he would stay there for hours, reading, doing crossword puzzles, taking naps, eating lunch, etc., which annoyed the parking patrol officer and trouble ensued, so on and so forth.

Thanks again for your wonderful posts. By all means keep blogging because hearing about the small things that happen in people's everyday lives makes me notice the small things in my own life more. It's important just because it's so ordinary. Keep up the good work! (Plus, your blog is good for my health -- it meets my RDA for laughter.)

1/16/2006 9:39 PM

 
Blogger Heather said...

Oh I care. :) Stick around, lady.

1/16/2006 9:54 PM

 
Blogger Regina said...

Woo hoo! I got a mention! I am so not worthy, DYM! Blogging- it's about meeting new people and sharing ideas and expanding your world- it's so cool!

1/16/2006 9:56 PM

 
Blogger Regina said...

Hey- come to think of it! I don't think I look too bad in this hat- ok, I was only about a year old or so, but who's counting?! Look at that curl! What happened to it?

1/16/2006 9:58 PM

 
Blogger Melodee said...

That is a great picture! (And that store looks so familiar . . . or is it just the rainsoaked ground that I recognize!?)

1/16/2006 11:27 PM

 
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

I want the name of that novel Ellie.

1/17/2006 1:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

- either that or he's just fascinated by you and everything you do.

1/17/2006 4:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Who cares?" We all do. And by the way, Magoo looks like he is about to take over your computer and therefore your world. Watch your back my friend.

1/17/2006 4:53 AM

 
Blogger blackbird said...

Well
said.

1/17/2006 5:08 AM

 
Blogger a suburban housewife said...

Hi, DYM. I truly love your posts; nice to see reality-driven blogs as opposed to all the "Nazi-blogging" going on out there!!
By the way, is that a BRA in the picture in front of baby boy? That is so hilarious!

1/17/2006 5:42 AM

 
Blogger elliespen said...

The novel was called "Tepper Isn't Going Out," by Calvin Trillin. I have to warn you, though, that I haven't actually read it myself yet; it's on my long list of to-reads, so I can't guarantee content. I just remember reading the reviews when it came out and thought it looked very interesting.

1/17/2006 7:47 AM

 
Blogger Carbon said...

Thank you, will do. I love blogging for all the same reasons.

1/17/2006 9:31 AM

 
Blogger Ortensia Norton said...

Blogging is making history. Even the show Arthur has a blog. It is going to go down as the new way to pass along information, the new way to get therapy, the new way to have life changing moments ect. ect.

And if nothing else, it is so fun!

1/17/2006 10:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny how we can bond through our blogs?

1/17/2006 11:05 AM

 
Blogger bon said...

yer darn tootin' DYM!

Oh, and uber-dy bestest? consider THAT gem coined!

1/18/2006 7:03 PM

 
Blogger blackbird said...

Nice computer.
Nice baby but.

You appear to be young and thin.

gah.

1/27/2006 12:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love blogging! Thanks for posting this!

Oh btw...I just found your blog...really nice! :)

6/20/2006 6:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home