On Her Flying Trapeze

Friday, January 13, 2006

Losing in the Dark is Fun

Correct that to read more fun.

I have some practice under my belt.

Elections for Grade 5 student body president. We write names on pieces of paper. The teacher counts them in her head (Jeff Probst could learn a thing or two about counting from Mrs. Rung) and then lets us know that I lose. So the boys didn't like the pink frosting on my campaign cupcakes. Big dealy-o! The defeat is quick and nearly painless. Like a lip wax, just rip it off.

Senior Year of College. I'm up for a College of Fine Arts Award. We finalists embarrass ourselves in front of a panel of professors. They talk behind closed doors. A week later I get a runner-up thingy at an awards ceremony and proceed to take my date out for ice cream. We have no second date. I think he ran off with the winner.

Last night JT and his posse of BoB Award death marchers (a moment of silence to weep for their lost sleep and possibly lost minds) put up the official voting system on the site.

"Sweet," says I. I will vote for my favorite blog.

I proceed to do so.

Up pops a results/body-count vote tally mechanism of death.

The silent scream.

The not-so-silent scream.

I say a quiet prayer that they will close the voting tomorrow. Watching these votes come in will be like watching my own demise.... in slow-motion.... on the internet.... in front of thousands of people.

Now, I'm not asking you to make me the Seabiscuit of the BoBs, but for the love of string cheese, please don't leave little Katie out on the school ground getting her butt whipped with cupcake frosting smeared all over her hair, while thousands of 5th graders look on.

Basically, what I'm asking is that you don't leave me hanging with one vote….cast by someone living in the greater Seattle area…..who shall not be named.

As my husband and Mr. Trump repeatedly remind us, "losing" in a contest of this
nature is not a loss, but a tenth-place finish in a large group of amazing contenders.

Yes.

And still I beg for mercy.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did my part! But I guess you knew I would, didn't you? ;-) And it looks like you have been getting some votes. Some people are just more blatantly soliciting votes.

1/13/2006 11:31 AM

 
Blogger Kim C. said...

I'm there for you, Kat.
:)

1/13/2006 11:36 AM

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

If you win or not, I still like you, and come on, it's kind of a little contest, don't you think, when you consider that the current leader has 87 votes. We're not even in the hundreds here.

1/13/2006 12:21 PM

 
Blogger Heather said...

You're right there in the middle, girl. I voted for you, and you at least have a sporting chance. You can do it.

1/13/2006 12:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're the coolest and deserve to win simply because you have fake "Behold The Power of Cheese" tattoos!

1/13/2006 1:18 PM

 
Blogger Susan said...

That little Watch The Voting As It Happens dealie is frightening, isn't it?

And addictive. Not that I would know. Because it's not like I've been checking or anything. No sir, not me. Uh-uh. Nope.

(I'm just happy to know about YOU, and I can thank the BoB people for that!)

1/13/2006 1:37 PM

 
Blogger blackbird said...

damn.
I got the snarky
'it looks like YOU'VE already voted'
notice.

do I even NEED TO SAY that I did not make it to the finals?

cause I just said it...

1/13/2006 1:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't look, K! It's not good to look. It makes you crazy to look. But it's just like when the Dr. says don't look at this ghastly wound while I stitch it up. You know you shouldn't, but you just can't help yourself. It's morbid curiosity, but what the heck!

1/13/2006 1:42 PM

 
Blogger blackbird said...

plus, that Big Yellow House lady, who is very nice I'm sure, has like 53 kids...

1/13/2006 1:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I voted! Even before I read this post :-)

1/13/2006 4:12 PM

 
Blogger Regina said...

You got my vote! Now- it's time to see what all the rest of 'em are about!

1/13/2006 6:08 PM

 
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

Yes, check out all of the other blogs. There are some great ones in the bunch.

1/13/2006 6:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We at our wee little computer voted for you! No pink frosting today! Love you!

1/13/2006 9:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry, I've got your back!

1/13/2006 9:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home