On Her Flying Trapeze

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Too Much Love

My mom always said she loved us all but she loved us more at different stages. If we asked who her favorite was, she said it was the one who needed her the most. Tonight, my family needs me and I am all a-tear with the joy of it.

Dan is pretty much walking death. He is having body and headaches so bad, he can hardly walk. I have been nursing him with Gatoraid, chick-flicks (he can't fight back when he's like this), and readings from S. Morgenstern's The Princess Bride.

pantsI joke about the death, but seriously, when he got up, asked me to pause The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (no I am not making that up), and moaned his way to the little boy's room, I had this horrible feeling that he had meningitis or an aneurism or something and while he was about his important business, I was fighting back the tears and planning how I would pack up our stuff to move to my mom's house with both kids in tow when he kicked the bucket.

When he came back, I told him of my concerns and he promised not to pass away….ever.

Then Magoo woke up in a state of sad sadness and he sat between us, all cold, clammy and pasty like his dad and we watched the rest of the movie. Magoo summoned the strength to dance (bouncing and flailing, really) to the girl-power songs and Dan and I both cried like babies during the touching parts. (Dan says he only cried because he was so sick, but then that's a theory we'll never be able to test, now will we? If we watched it again and he remained dry-eyed, I'd say it was because it wasn't the first time he'd seen it. Maybe some evening when he's well, I'll whip out My Girl and see how well he holds up. I cried so hard I was snorting during that movie.)

count rugenTo give him the benefit of the doubt and to protect his manhood, I will say that I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen him cry since we met (and I only have 5 fingers on my right hand, unlike Count Rugen). He must be really sick.

After I got him tucked into bed with his sprite-spiked Gatoraid and Tylenol PMs, I went to Magoo, whose crying had become a frenzy. I held and rocked and cuddled and loved him in the dark quiet of my living room. The fireplace flickered and he climbed up and down my stomach, nuzzling me all over and moaning happy, contented moans. Eventually I broke my big fat stupid rule and nursed the pathetic little guy to sleep.

my boysNow I miss him. I miss my boys. I should go to bed. I'll be the next victim of the disease, I'm sure. Magoo's big enough now (over 2 years younger and only 5 lbs lighter than Laylee) that he should be rocking me to sleep when I come down with it.

This sentiment hit home. I read it right after putting him down.

15 Comments:

Blogger blackbird said...

gah -

it just sounds so pitiful over at your place.


(K would definitely cry AND moan if I made him watch The Sisterhood...)

good luck today.

1/08/2006 5:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that everyone is sick, or getting sick. I wish I was there to make you all Gloop (jello with ice cream whipped into it) and get you cool wet cloths for your foreheads and to make soup - lots and lots of warm and soothing soup. Love you!

1/08/2006 8:31 AM

 
Blogger Heather said...

You manage to make being sick sound sweet and tender. :)

1/08/2006 9:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww now that was so freaking sweet. I loved it. That is so what I do, glad to know I am not the only one that when my children are sick take the time to enjoy the cuddles that come too far apart these days. And than that you linked to my silly ol' blog. Thank you, I am glad it touched you. Great entry and I hope you manage to stay somewhat healthy because we all need to catch a break once in awhile if you ask me!

1/08/2006 10:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you aren't the next victim, too, oh daring one. I am sad to report we have had a version of it where we are, too. So solly about that. Glad you're so sweet to the daring young dad and chillins. Thanks for that!

1/08/2006 1:31 PM

 
Blogger Sugarmama said...

I totally get this feeling. There's something very sweet about being the care-taker of your sick family. But you're right about the part where you're next--try and get some sleep!

1/08/2006 2:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a precious photo. Makes me miss my son's big, round, bald baby head.

1/08/2006 3:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sending healthy sprinkles your way! Can you feel them? I have a special sparkly shaker! *shake* *shake* *shake*

1/08/2006 3:39 PM

 
Blogger Chilihead2 said...

Sounds like you're having our last week this week. Healthy vibes coming your way.

I LOVE The Princess Bride!

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

As you wish.

ROUSs

Too many to count.

1/08/2006 5:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am very sorry to hear that your boys are sick, prayers for quick healing.

Is the Travleing Pants a movie for a ten-year-old little girl? She really wants to see it.

1/08/2006 7:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the email, i went to the link and wow. There is no way she's seeing that!

1/08/2006 8:15 PM

 
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

Yeah, that's what I was thinking with a 10-year-old. Good choice.

1/08/2006 9:25 PM

 
Blogger Kelly said...

Hope your house gets better soon!

1/09/2006 1:28 AM

 
Blogger Catez said...

It seems to have taken forever for me to be able to get over here. Sorry to hear Dan is not well. Wanted to say Happy New Year but um... well I'm sure it will be.
Loved your post from when you wrote in your journal as a kid - wonderful. And My Girl - that's the acid test for emotional threshhold in a movie for sure.

1/09/2006 8:02 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's nice to be needed isn't it :-)!

Sorry you're dealing with the sickies! I never mind being able to take care of them. I mind when I've been up 3 days straight and they get well (read hyper and demanding) right as I come down with the worst version of whatever bug they had. Mommies should be granted extra immunities.

1/09/2006 8:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home