On Her Flying Trapeze

Thursday, December 29, 2005

The Way I Feel

My family has come down with the plague. It starts with body aches, primarily in the forearm region and spreading throughout the body. Next is chest congestion, complete lack of energy and strength, followed by nasal congestion and a strong desire to leave this mortal body.

My parents came down with it first, followed by my brother and sister-in-law. Dan has had it for a few days and now my forearms hurt and the energy is gone. I'm hoping I'll get some mild, supermom-can-kick-this-plague's-hiney version of the disease. We'll see. The Ibuprofen I took this evening sure were nice.

The kids are waiting to get sick until it's time to make the long trip home. This could be very bad or very good. They may sleep the whole way or they may just scream their brains out. Grey matter all over the new van. Not pretty. Oh, and we've already had the van professionally cleaned once this trip due to my lovely spill-record on the way down here. Nice!

On Sunday we're supposed to visit Dan's aunt, one of my favorite people. She is currently battling cancer and can't tolerate any germs. So we're working on getting better before then.

I love being with family, both mine and Dan's. I can be myself in a way that's not quite possible without them. I'm not sure I even like this "me" better, but I just feel safe. There is no pretense.

I am jealous of the relationship my siblings have with my Sister's daughter. They know her intimately, her likes, her dislikes, her habits, the translations for her adorable baby babble. They are closer. It hurts a little.

They love my kids and are excited to see them. They can't get enough of them. They just don't know them the same way they know Bean.

Sometimes I wish I lived in a country where family stayed together indefinitely and took care of each other, no one moved to Washington, they just all lived together in some kind of commune (minus the stock-piled weapons, inter-marriage and nasty food. Don't all communes have nasty food? If you are from a commune, feel free to dispute this.).

13 Comments:

Blogger blackbird said...

ooh - - like when your skin hurts?
hate that.
HATE THAT.

have no experience whatsoever with communes but do have a friend in a cult? does that count? the food is not so good.

12/30/2005 4:55 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband and I both are very fond of my parents. We've lived about 7 hours away for the past 6 years. Ever since I became a mom, I've longed to live closer. Next month, we'll be moving to their town! I sure hope we'll all enjoy each other as much when we live close to each other (about 35 minutes).

12/30/2005 5:29 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

Family- what can you do? I live so far from my parents that it gets harder and harder to visit because the leaving is so painful. I don't know what's worse- seeing them get older and frailer or leaving them in that state... it's so tough...

12/30/2005 5:49 AM

 
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

I completely sympathize.
We live 3 hours away from my family and 1 1/2 away from my husband's--all our siblings live close to our parents. This means that our parents see their other grandchildren for Saturday bagel breakfasts, dance recitals, dance CLASSES, ball games, school concerts, and all that good stuff. Not so much, for our kids. It hurts.

12/30/2005 5:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the grammy who doesn't live near ANY of my grandkids, I completely understand. Dad and I both feel like we are missing out on so much that we would get to experience if we were closer.

We are thankful that we got to be with Beanie 2x this year (4x for me with your kids - 3 times for Dad), but it's not enough. I don't think it could ever be enough. On visits like this one, we just bearly get the kids warmed up enough to come to us happily and then we have to go.

Of course it's better than my family life as a young mother. I married Dad and moved from the eastern US to western Canada that same week. I was very lucky if I got to see someone from my family every three years or so. And long distance was expensive. I only got to talk to my mom once a month. I was blessed to have Dad's family close by, but even the world's best mother-in-law is still not your own Mom.

We are all in love with your kids though. They are outstanding!

As for the plague, it is completely rotten but I think it may be of the "hit 'em like a tank and be on your way" variety. I only felt like death for 2 days. I am no longer coughing up a lung. I'm betting it will be completely gone in less than a week. Hopefully you will get the light weight version like your brother.

Love you. Love your kids. Love that good man you married.

12/30/2005 9:44 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

uh, there she goes again. Your mom, she is just so great! Sorry you're all feeling like yuckiness. Hope it passes quickly.

12/30/2005 10:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

could i at least bring a stockpile of weapons?

12/30/2005 10:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we've had this recently too. It takes forever to shake.

12/30/2005 11:29 AM

 
Blogger Sugarmama said...

Having seen my entire family through our own plague recently, I sympathize. Hope you all get better soon so you can visit your husband's aunt. And btw, it really is great that you get along with his family, too. It seems somewhat uncommon in my experience.

12/30/2005 1:19 PM

 
Blogger bon said...

I believe that my niece called it cold-zilla
so solly.
get better.

12/30/2005 2:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I love your mom, too! Aaannd, she's a great communicator, like you! I am sooo sorry about the gomboo. I am so sorry! Sure love ya. Pam

12/30/2005 5:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes I forget how special it is to live 3 minutes from my sister and my parents. I don't have the closeness to my in-law family as I would like. My Hubby's parents are divorced and his Dad is a nice, but emotionally distant person and his mom is psycho and hates me for some reason. So I envy those who are close with their inlaws. Glad you are having such a wonderful visit! Hopefully it will give you enough warm fuzzies to last quite a long time!!! :)

1/01/2006 4:06 PM

 
Blogger Sridevi said...

Hey,
I live a 17-hour flight away from my both my family and my husband's family. Add the stop-overs and time to and from the airport and its about a full 24 hours...sigh....3 hours seems like a day trip to me now.

1/04/2006 5:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home