On Her Flying Trapeze

Friday, December 23, 2005

The Trip So Far

I apologize if you live south of Seattle and we’ve passed through your town on our Christmas road-extravaganza. We’ve brought the rain with us. Seriously. It’s been pouring the whole way. Better than ice and snow, better than skating all over the freeway. Besides, we have that sweet rear window wiper now.

trip2I’ve been using your travel tips and many have worked. Karli tipped me off and we’ve made great use of some Cinderella magnetic paper dolls. The DVD player has also earned its keep.

In the hotel, Laylee slept in her own queen-sized bed, spread out like a starfish. When she heard people making noise upstairs, she said, “That’s rich. I’m gonna get rid of all the noise.” We stayed in a hotel that Karen had marked as “questionable” on her list of possibilities near her home. We chose it for the free wireless internet. Internet was good. Broken glass found under Laylee’s bed, not so much of good.

Fun things we’ve seen along the freeway:

A grounded helicopter covered in Christmas lights and left it by the side of the road to excite small girls named Laylee and big boys named Dan.

A Christmas tree hanging from a crane, suspended 10 feet above the ground next to a pink Cadillac with fins, and a pink flamingo.

trip1Magoo’s first tooth.

Laylee’s two-year-old molars’ appearance.

A 100% perfect spill record for the DYM. Every fluid or food item I touched the entire trip has now exploded all over my van, my clothes or my kids.

A man walking along the top of a semi-truck. Dan suggested that maybe this was not a trucker. Maybe it was Tom Hanks’s hobo-ghost-alter-ego chillin’ down state-side with some trucker friends before his busy weekend terrorizing children on the Polar Express.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I want for Christmas is my first tooth and my molars?

12/23/2005 7:59 AM

 
Blogger blackbird said...

safe journey!
Merry & happy...

12/23/2005 10:31 AM

 
Blogger Melodee said...

Uh, for the rain? Thanks. A lot. Really.

12/23/2005 3:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love snow in the mountains, and rain in the valley. Thanks, darling daring! And, I love road trips! Mostly. :)

12/24/2005 8:45 AM

 
Blogger Heather said...

Love the exploding fluids. Remember Grandpa's funeral? Sprite, everywhere.

12/24/2005 12:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home