On Her Flying Trapeze

Friday, December 16, 2005

Better Late than Never

BlackBird, please don't give me a tardy!

I don't remember when I got hooked on Show and Tell, probably 2nd grade, but I love it and I can't stop. It is my bedtime, but I couldn't go to sleep until I posted this. I don't want to get in trouble. Here are my ordaments (second grade pronunciation).

ornament Purchased in a shop outside Westminster Abbey, this Buckingham Palace guard guy is a favorite. My mom and I were crazy enough to go on a girls week to England with Laylee when she was 7 months old, stay in a TEENY hotel room, eat fish and chips and trek around London and Bath. What an adventure! (shout out to Dan and Uncle Bill for sponsoring the trip) This actually belongs to Laylee. Mine is a Beefeater. So as not to offend the vegetarians, I posted this instead....




ornament3 This is the new ornament I bought this week to start Karen's tradition (see comments section) where the parents hang up the first ornament on the tree and then force the children to watch as they passionately follow the misletoe mandate.








ornament2Legend has it that my first Christmas coincided with this angel's first Christmas and she conveniently has my name tatooed accross her skirt so I got to keep her when the family ornaments were doled out.

6 Comments:

Blogger blackbird said...

the mistletoe one is BLINDING me.

I have pretty much the same angel...


I would never give you a tardy -- and I would kick the ass of that ped for you if you like.

12/17/2005 3:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of "ordaments",I'd like to take a step back to family traditions for Christmas. That angel was absolutely bought for you the first Christmas of your life.

We always bought each of our kids a Christmas ornament every year and gave them their own box when they struck out on their own. Originally I thought it was so they would start out with some things to go on their 1st tree that had meaning and history for them. Now I realize it was really for me.

Now that we're empty-nesting (which, by the way, is just like being newly-weds only with more money) we've gotten to start over fresh. For the past 3 years I've been visiting craft sales, bazaars and specialty shops buying whatever appealed to me. It's been tons of fun and I really love our tree this year.

12/17/2005 4:45 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Seriously, Daring Mom's Mom, you could be my mom speaking right now. I knew I loved you.

Glad the ornament with smoochage tradition stuck with you! We'll be doing a manger next year. :)

12/17/2005 8:20 AM

 
Blogger bon said...

I gotta talk to the Dadguy about that kiss-n-first-ornament thing... we're always looking for opportunities to mack on each other!

12/18/2005 7:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being Karen's sister, I got stuck watching my parents to the smoochy-ornament tradition. SOOOO what do I do when I grow up? Also force my children to watch me smooth their Dad. I think my sister and I got the "Mushy-Lovey" gene from our mother. She's the queen of romance-ville.

12/18/2005 8:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought the same Buckingham Palace red guard ornament.....and an amazing Cornwall pin cushion...our first trip, April, 2006.....very sunny and COLD....

7/07/2006 3:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home