On Her Flying Trapeze

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Surprises, Gifting and Re-Gifting - On My Mind

I was reminded of Karli’s post about surprises yesterday when DY Dad and Laylee got back from shopping for my Christmas presents.

In the past, I have enjoyed giving him a hard time by asking Laylee what they bought me as soon as they got back from buying my birthday and Christmas surprises. She was always too young to respond accurately. She’d mumble something in toddler-ese, he’d say, “Don’t tell. It’s a surprise,” and we’d all laugh. Ha ha ha.

Well yesterday, the first thing he said when he walked in was, “Don’t ask her this time.”

Me: Okay.

D: I drilled her repeatedly at the store on what she should say if you asked her. Things didn’t go so well. So, don’t ask, okay?

Me: Okay. (I do like surprises)

Me (to Laylee): Hey sweet girl. Did you and Daddy have a fun time together?

Laylee: We got you a tea pot!

This afternoon on the way home from church, she asked me if I wanted her to go get me the tea pot so I could use it. No thank you, I want to wait and be surprised.

A while back, before I was banned from watching Oprah unless “it’s a show about kitties and fluffy bunnies,” she did an episode where snobby-ish etiquette experts answered all our burning questions about decorum. The consensus was that it is unacceptably tacky to “re-gift.”

Note to my friends – I am unacceptably tacky and you will occasionally reap the benefits because my re-gifts are often much nicer than things I would have purchased myself. (The actual re-gifting has slowed since we used up the last of our wedding gift duplicates. Man, we got a lot of George Foreman Grills a few years ago.)

As we were leaving church today, we overheard this from a speaker in the other congregation that meets in our building:

“So at this wonderful time of year, I hope we will all ‘re-gift’ the greatest gift that we have ever received.”

I’m not sure who was speaking but it made me smile.


James Wallingford wrote the following:

Christmas is not a day or a season, but a condition of heart and mind.
If we love our neighbors as ourselves;
if in our riches we are poor in spirit and in our poverty we are rich in grace;
if our charity vaunteth not itself, but suffereth long and is kind;
if when our brother asks for a loaf, we give ourselves instead;
if each day dawns in opportunity and sets in achievement, however small-
then every day is Christ’s day and Christmas is always near.


Hey everybody, unite to re-gift the love, the joy, the gratitude, the service, the true spirit of Christmas. We all need it. It’s there for the taking. Spread it around.

We could all use more compassion, more dedication, more kindness, more forgiveness, more quiet holiness in our lives (whatever our religion). Breathe. Think before you speak. Determine each day to share the best part of yourself and you will be surprised at what will come of it.

I’m determined that there is more good in each of us than we have yet discovered or can even imagine. There is so much joy to be had in this world. Let’s have it!

11 Comments:

Blogger Regina said...

I love it- thanks, DYM... great post. The 'think before you speak' idea- it seems that one's gone out the window a long time ago... but it needs to come back into our consciousness again, from the lowliest person to the highest officials. If more people thought about their next words, maybe feelings wouldn't get hurt and anger would stop and love would come in... it all starts with us, doesn't it? Now you got me thinking again, darn it! ;)

12/19/2005 6:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make me happy!

12/19/2005 6:29 AM

 
Blogger Sugarmama said...

Let's have it indeed! Oh, and in my humble opinion, re-gifting is only tacky if you tell the person you've done it to, or if you forget and re-gift something to the original giver!

12/19/2005 6:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your whole post goes right along with what I've been thinking lately. Recently we were given a chance to select a theme for our ladies Relief Society at church and we chose to use sunflowers because they always turn their faces to the sun. Our theme is "Turn to the Son. Feel His love and Share it." I know the world is a better place when we share the love and joy. Thank you for reminding me again. Love you!

12/19/2005 7:47 AM

 
Blogger Catez said...

You are going to be happily surprised when you get the NZ tea I'm sending you for your new teapot!

Oh dang!

12/19/2005 10:58 AM

 
Blogger Catez said...

Well dang is American. Usually I say oh flip.
Something to do with living near the beach and growing up with snorkels and flippers. Totally off the point I know.

12/19/2005 11:01 AM

 
Blogger Kathy said...

Is this "Oprah show ban" husband-inforced? That made me laugh, because I've been banned from watching it too. Now for a good time, all I have to say is "on Oprah dot com today..." and the eyes start rolling.

I will admit the only wedding gift I regifted was a dollar store porcelaine dog - and i used it for a white elephant party. That's not in bad taste as long as I didn't tell the very nice, older lady in my husband's ward: "Thank you so much for the keepsake, it got a great laugh when i re-gifted it" right?

I think re-gifting our testimonies is perfect! Merry Christmas, and thanks for the cheer you dole out daily!

12/19/2005 11:23 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

I did forget to mention that my husband and I were re-gifted- with our own gift! The couple didn't have a clue what they did and we never told them, but needless to say, we didn't give them any more presents! Haruumph!

12/19/2005 12:11 PM

 
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

That was wonderful! Thank you!
Let's all re-gift that most precious gift of love this year.

12/19/2005 3:28 PM

 
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

Can't wait to find out what that Christmas surprise might be Catez.... (oh, and TONS of my utah friends say flip and most of them have never seen a snorkel so...)

The Oprah ban is husband-imposed due to the nightmares I've had after watching her hard-core coverege of some major events. With my anxiety attacks after Magoo was born, I just couldn't handle her gracefully so I am on a temporary ban.

That is HILARIOUS that someone re-gifted your own gift to you. I think I'd feel the same way.

12/19/2005 4:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your nomination for the BoB Awards. Good Luck!

12/19/2005 6:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home