On Her Flying Trapeze

Thursday, November 03, 2005

My Preschool Debut

preschool1

Last week I posted about my friend “Lucy” and her home school preschool. Well this week was my turn and I’ve come to the conclusion that our kids (yes 2 and 3 year olds) have very-extremely-way-muchly-super-duper-uber short attention spans.



Yes.


(moment of silence brought to you by They’re All In Bed)



It’s true.


So after Lucy’s Herculean efforts last week, I planned what I thought were a ton of activities.

1. We sang several songs, sitting or standing on cushions, including a version of The Eensy Weensy spider called The Big Fat Spider, where you sing in a really deep, scratchy voice.

2. They asked to go play with toys.

3. We learned a color, number, (asked for toys) shape (escaped for toys) and letter.

4. We had exercise time (Picture Simon Says where Simon always says and the kids don’t know the difference anyway so they just do what you say. Man, I wish this worked at nap, dinner and cleanup time.).

5. They did a coloring and sticker project.

preschool2

6. They tried to scale the baby gate to get to the toys.

7. We made pumpkin spice sugar cookies.

preschool5

8. I read them 4 Halloween stories (wherein each child felt the need to touch each page of each story in succession regardless of whether it was a touchy-feely book).

preschool8

9. We learned a song about a Jack-O-Lantern but first we learned that a pumpkin with a face is called a Jack-O-Lantern. (Notice that actual learning did occur.)

10. They ran about wildly and asked for toys.

11. I told them a story of a witch looking for a house that turns magically into a pumpkin.
You fold a sheet of paper in half and hold it up with the fold to the bottom. Then the witch needs to make a roof so you cut the top corners off to look like a sloping roof. Then she needs a door so you cut a rectangle up from the bottom of one side. Oh, she can’t fit through with her pointed hat so you cut a triangle up from that. Then you make a triangle door for her cat. Then a square window and she has a beautiful house. You open it up and ……SHE LIVES IN A PUMPKIN! This is when all the kids gave their full attention and clapped like I was a flippin’ genius. It was nice.

preschool3

12. I made them all witch houses.

preschool4

13. They pleaded for toys.

14. They colored the pumpkins.

15. ONLY 50 MINUTES HAD PASSED AND I WAS SUPPOSED TO KEEP THIS UP FOR 2 HOURS.

16. I gave them the toys.

17. They played and attempted to share and take turns, learning valuable life lessons in the process. Only 1 time-out was issued.

18. I sedated them by playing every song I know on the guitar:
-Leaving on a Jet Plane
-Where Have All the Flowers Gone?
-When You Say Nothin’ at All
-Leavin’ on a Jet Plane
-An Up-Tempo version of Nearer My God to Thee (not exactly the way they sang it on the Titanic, I’m guessing)
-Where Have all the Flowers Gone?
-And for the Grand Finale – Leavin’ on a Jet Plane.

preschool7


18. And then they did…..leave.

NANOWRIMO word count: 2287

8 Comments:

Blogger blackbird said...

well see, my theory is that they are on to you guys now.
sure last week was this amazing overwhelming whirlwind of activity (from their point of view of course) and THIS week, they were all, like,
OH, we have to go to someone's house for that busy work stuff?
so they knew what was going on and just wanted to be left alone.
with toys.
it has nothing to do with how entertaining you were...the jig is up!

11/04/2005 3:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also used the witch's house pumpkin trick to entertain the "young ones" last week - to great effect. It's amazing how the old stand-bys are still working after all these years.

11/04/2005 5:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have even attempted it! Good for you.

Tuesday
http://agirlandherlife.blogspot.com

11/04/2005 7:08 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm in awe. AND you're writing a book too. I can't even seem to get my kid's hair combed today.

11/04/2005 8:54 AM

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

Have you seen Daddy Day Care?

We just bought it, and one of the things one of the Daddy's does is get out his guitar and play a bunch of songs. You just reminded me of that.

11/04/2005 9:15 AM

 
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

BB - I think your theory has merit. We'll have to bore them into submission.

Mom - you taught me the pumpkin thing. It works every time.

Anna - I stole the image from a blogging friend. Feel free to steal, steal away.

Karen - therein lies the problem. Writing a book - hmmmm...maybe. Kid's hair...what's that? Also thank you for not commenting on my hygiene in those pictures. I'm sure you could see my freshly unshowered hair, glimmering in the light of the camera flash.

11/04/2005 10:06 AM

 
Blogger bon said...

Bless your heart DYM! I used to be the storyteller for Toddler Time at Provo City Library, and I'm here to tell ya, You gotta move FAST. Sound effects help and so do finger plays.

Aaaaaand a complete lack of pride or sense of shame is very helpful as well.

11/04/2005 11:44 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obviously you have great taste in toys. Way to pick the coolest toys ever that not even your well-ran activities could win out!!

Ortensia

11/04/2005 6:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home