On Her Flying Trapeze

Monday, October 24, 2005

Move over Montessori – You don’t stand a chance!

pre9
Some friends and I decided to start a home school preschool co-op for our 2-3 year olds. Today was the big first day. We settled on doing a song, a story, a craft and a snack – all based around a theme. Simple enough, right? Well my friend - let’s call her “Lucy” - was first. I was the designated helper today. This is a chronicle of what I witnessed (and some thoughts):
• She moved every piece of furniture in her family room so that the kids could sit on cushions in a big circle. (I may do something like this too)
• They sang a welcome song, a song about the days of the week and some other song I’m forgetting. (Well, her songs are more copious and more educational than mine were planning to be but she’s got to fill 2 hours, right?)
• They learned about squares, the number 1, the letter O, and the color orange. (No, she did not also teach them to write computer code in binary. However, I am planning to save the 1s and Os for that purpose when they come to my house next week.)



pre4

• She had the letters, numbers and shapes taped around the room for them to find. (Doable. I can draw. I can tape.)
• Then they hunted for other orange objects. (I eat meat but I’m not a big hunter….here’s where she starts to lose me.)


pre6

• They learned how to predict the weather and sang a song about it. (Don’t know the first thing about meteorology so we’ll probably have to skip this one. I left my Doppler radar in my “other” diaper bag.)
• She traced their bodies and then dipped their hands and feet in paint and helped them make prints on their life-sized drawings of themselves. (Paint, feet, hands, 2-year-olds, my carpet. AHHHHH!!!! Better enjoy it here kiddies. This is where the fun lives.)


pre10

• There was a bowl handy to wash their hands and feet as they finished (here’s where I “helped”).
•They took turns feeding "Dish" the Betta fish. (I'm sure Jack could out-chow Dish any day but I'm not sure I want to exploit his eating disorder.)
• They listened to their own hearts beating with a stethoscope and then pasted hearts to the chests of their paper clones. (Again with the science, nicely executed but probably still beyond my realm of imaginativeness.)
• They learned about tummies and then pasted ORANGE stomachs onto the giant paper dolls.
• They filled their tummies with a smorgasbord of snacks, including vegetables, fruits, crackers, yogurt, string cheese and ORANGE cheese cut into little LETTER Os. (Animal crackers and apple slices, anyone? I got me some cheerios too, out in the garage.)



pre7

• THEY WENT OUT BACK TO PLAY IN THE BOUNCY HOUSE!!!!!! (I’m sorry to yell, but that sentence calls for ALL CAPS. We have no yard which was a decision largely based on the fact that we have no bouncy house to go in it, so what’s the point……I mean really?)


pre8

• They read a story about feet (This I can do).


pre3

• We took a picture of their feet (This I did do).


pre2

• They played instruments. (I can hook them up with some sweet maracas, drums and a kid-friendly piano.)


pre5a

• The children formed a focus group and decided that they will never be satisfied with their own pathetic moms ever again.

My conclusions based on this evidence are:
a) Lucy is a professional, using us as test specimens before starting her own multi-billion dollar preschool empire.
b) She decided to use a Shock and Awe offensive strategy to throw us off our guard so we would spend the next weeks scrambling around for ideas, with no leader and complete civil unrest….
c) She is the cutest person ever and I’m so glad we’re doing this little experiment together.

Don't forget tomorrow's tip - How do you get rid of telemarketers?

8 Comments:

Blogger Kate B. said...

wow, brave of you. I bet the kids loved it.

My best tip to get rid of telemarketers - I give my three year old daughter the phone and encourage her to chat away for as long as she likes.

10/24/2005 3:42 PM

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

Okay-- who was it?

Lots of fun. I don't think I could do it.

10/24/2005 4:35 PM

 
Blogger Christa said...

all that in two hours???? Is Lucy on Ritalin, like a real Desperate Housewife??? I can keep my kids busy for two hours by drawing a map and telling them to go find the treasure, and then I speed clean, send emails, print dec sheets, call clients, return phone calls......... wow, I am the biggest loser mom ever.

10/24/2005 6:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just remember, some people are serious overachievers. Never let them get to you! The kids will love a bin full of macaroni and animals cookies just as much and you get to keep your carpet and your sanity.

10/25/2005 6:47 AM

 
Blogger blackbird said...

um.
okay.
K just picked me up off the floor and I think I can type now.
Like, I could now type WTF.
She did all this crap in 2 hours?

Look.
I'm gonna send you, what? four or five electron microscopes, and you, uh, can have them write their initials on DNA.

That should cover it.

10/25/2005 2:10 PM

 
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

Thanks BB. I could use those. They need to arrive by Monday. This is one of those friends that you're so glad to have around so your kid can have that kind of fun experience but you don't have to do all the work. I'd have to hate her if she weren't so freakin' cool and fun to hang out with.

10/25/2005 2:36 PM

 
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

Oh, and she says I made it sound better on the blog than it was in real life. But....I have photographic proof which trumps her sincere modesty.

10/25/2005 2:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I have the best and funnest daughter-in-law and grandkids ever, and they have fun friends!!!! :)

10/26/2005 8:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home