On Her Flying Trapeze

Monday, October 31, 2005

My PDA is Possessed and Schizophrenic

Recently Jessica wrote that her Parenting Magazines were talking to her. The same sort of thing has been happening with my Palm.

Tonight I was using the calculator when the thing freaked out, turned black and asked me if I wanted to erase all data. Hmmm….let me think about that. My entire life plan is contained on that little piece of equipment and if all data were erased, I’d most likely disappear in a puff of smoke or crumple to the ground like the wicked witch, “I’m melting. I’m melting.”

“No thank you,” I replied.

My data was not lost but I had to reset all my preferences and when I went back to the calculator, it had the number 666 on the screen. Do do Do do Do do Do do. Freaky, eh?

A more uplifting message came during my anxiety-ridden weeks shortly after Magoo was born. During that time I became super, uber religioso, hoping to pray my way out of a chemical imbalance. I’d downloaded my scriptures and hymn lyrics to my palm and was reading them one day when my Palm lost its mind.

After resetting and recovering the little computer, I reopened the scripture program and it had skipped from the scripture I was reading to this hymn:

The Lord Is My Shepherd
1. The Lord is my Shepherd; no want shall I know.
I feed in green pastures; safe-folded I rest.
He leadeth my soul where the still waters flow,
Restores me when wand’ring, redeems when oppressed,
Restores me when wand’ring, redeems when oppressed.

2. Thru the valley and shadow of death though I stray,
Since thou art my Guardian, no evil I fear.
Thy rod shall defend me, thy staff be my stay.
No harm can befall with my Comforter near.
No harm can befall with my Comforter near.

3. In the midst of affliction my table is spread.
With blessings unmeasured my cup runneth o’er.
With perfume and oil thou anointest my head.
Oh, what shall I ask of thy providence more?
Oh, what shall I ask of thy providence more?
Text: James Montgomery, 1771–1854; based on Psalm 23

These words brought me a lot of comfort when I really needed it. Maybe the spirit controlling my Palm is a good one afterall.

The first story seemed more creep-propriate for Halloween, though. Happy Halloween everybody!

5 Comments:

Blogger blackbird said...

now your comments need to be exorcised too.

10/31/2005 2:50 AM

 
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

The spam comments are driving me nuts but with our server, we cannot find a way to keep everything secure without blocking all comments if word verification is turned on. So.....I have to check and manually delete all of these. It's fun fun fun to see all of this junk pop up every morning.

10/31/2005 8:06 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

About the time you exorcised your visitor she or her evil twin took up residence here. Thanks for the scripture you shared. Mine was/is Isaiah 54:10. Praise God for faithfulnes and for "exorcism drugs".

10/31/2005 10:10 AM

 
Blogger Heather said...

I'm afraid for you and your creepy palm! :)

10/31/2005 12:28 PM

 
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

It could be a virus, but I prefer the creepy scizophrenic ghostie theory.

10/31/2005 5:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home