On Her Flying Trapeze

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

I am a Pancake Loser

All modesty shoved under the sofa, I think I’m a pretty great cook. However I don’t usually have the slightest desire to cook first thing in the morning. So, Laylee is addicted to cold cereal, scrambled eggs and toaster waffles.

pankcake1This morning after my early walk with Sandra, I decided to fully take on my role as domestic goddess and make some whole-wheat pancakes from scratch. I’ve made this recipe approximately 4 billion times (usually for dinner). I ALWAYS burn the last pan.

Well this morning I burned every single stinkin’ heart-healthy made-from-scratch why-did-I-do-this pancake. Little black hockey pucks all. I guess black is a fitting color for a hockey puck and I’m Canadian, I should know. I sort of freaked out. Laylee’s response to all the turmoil?

“When the pancakes are burnt and yucky for you, I would eat them all for you.”

pancake2And she did. I ate one too. With LOTS of peanut butter and Mrs. Butterworth’s. I’m not sure if it’s smart to eat two things that have “butter” in the title at the same time, but it hid the charcoal-ish-ness of the pucks…….sort of.

Random side-note – I just asked Laylee what Ducky is gonna be for Halloween (I hope it’s okay that I use his real name here. There are no small stuffed duck stalkers out there, right?). She got a huge grin and said, “He wants an alligator costume cause I’m making it for him toDAY so he can go trick-or-treating with me toDAY because I’m making him an alligator costume so he can get some candy and I will share my candy with HIM!”

(This was said very quickly, but I think my transcription is fairly accurate.)

8 Comments:

Blogger blackbird said...

Donuts seem to do the trick over here.

I saw a banana too.
So, uh, pancakes, peanut butter, and banana? I'm feelin a little full.

10/26/2005 10:12 AM

 
Blogger sweet mama entropy said...

I too love cooking at all times except breakfast. But I don't think this effects our domestic goddess status. I've been watching for a while now and Martha Stewart hardly ever tackles breakfast food on her show. (And come on, we all know she tapes in the afternoons anyway!)

BTW, you like cooking indian food? I love indian food but can only find really lousy recipes. Do you have any good ones?

10/26/2005 10:40 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

You crack me up daily. Thanks for that.

10/26/2005 11:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...And I have been feeling guilty for my almost 6 years of marriage. I was certain that an integral part of the criteria for Domestic Goddess was "make warm breakfast by 6:30am EVERY MORNING". Since our breakfasts are the 'serve yourself'kind, I had just settled for not winning the Domestic Goddess of the year award EVER, but now I might have a chance...unless you also have to love ironing (or even do it). Ortensia

10/26/2005 11:33 AM

 
Blogger Heather said...

Holy CRONK!

Three Comments:
1. You must start posting a Recipe of the week, because I agree, you are the best cook, and I want your recipes.

2. I literally almost teared up at Claire's comment about the stinkin' pancakes. She RULES!

3. I beSEECH you to make Ducky an Aligator Costume!

10/26/2005 11:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'd like to get a copy of your favorite recipes, too! I burn things, too, but not nearly so much since I got a rice cooker.

10/26/2005 9:00 PM

 
Blogger Nantie Meg said...

I always burn the last batch of cookies.

I miss C & O!!! And ducky too!!

10/26/2005 9:58 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess it is tough to be a mom. Early in the morning you struggle to cook breakfast only to be left alone in the house for the whole. However, the cooking thing is really worth doing. Good food binds the family together.

11/27/2005 11:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home