On Her Flying Trapeze

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Tip Tuesday - Ringing in the New Year

So, crazy as it seems, 2005's getting its butt kicked out the door and we're welcoming in 2006 in a few short days.

The year has just flown by. I can't believe it. Oh - My - Word. I am in such shock. I may fall over dead from the astonishment right here in front of this very Christmas tree, blah blah blah and all that stuff where I act like I'm gonna faint dead away that another year's gone and left me - like a cheatin' husband in a cheesy country song. Oh WHY!?

Wait!

I've started to notice a trend and I'm going to go check the data.

Please hold.

Yep, my theory holds true. Every year, at about this time, it happens. I'll write down these findings and maybe next year it won't come as such a surprise. Now we've just got to find a way to deal with this year's shock and awe the best we can and move on to live happy and productive lives in 2006.

A couple of fun things I've done to ring in New Year's past (after scraping myself off the floor, dousing my head in a bucket of ice water, and taking a nice stiff drink of Caffeine-free Diet Dr. Pepper):

1. I had a boyfriend once (I know, hard to believe) who took me up a high mountain somewhere outside Denver eeearrrrly in the morning on New Year's Day to watch the sun rise on the New Year. He said he'd done it every year and wanted to share it with me. It was beautiful and a good chance to think about what we wanted to do with our lives over the next 12 months.

I broke up with him 2 days later.

2. I still stick with the old standby - at 12:00, you need to find someone to smooch. I've got my eye on a certain person… sitting next to me… in flannel pj pants… with a matching lap-top…. writing code for fun.

I plan to stick very close to him the evening of the 31st.

What will you do to ring in the New Year? Are you a resolutions person? Do you stick to them? How do you make it special?


From my sister's blue couch, Utah, I'm Kathryn Daring reporting.

12 Comments:

Blogger blackbird said...

Ha.
Here I am commenting first to say:
I
hate
New Years Eve
boring and depressing, I find it.
And I WAS getting away with sleeping through it, but in recent years Middle has asked me to stay up with him and ring in the new.
But then I will sklunk upstairs, kiss Youngest (and Oldest if he is in the house) and slip into bed next to my dearest.
No resolutions, no promises.
I'd rather it wasn't marked and often forget to change the date on my checks...

12/27/2005 4:32 AM

 
Blogger Ginger said...

:) I loved this. New Year's Eve sneaks up on me too.

I hate to admit it, but somewhere in my 30s I hit the "I don't care, I'm tired and I'm going to bed" stage of life. After I got married in the last year of my 30s, now with a guaranteed someone-to-kiss, he joined me in the "We don't care; we're too tired and we're going to bed" approach.

What a bunch o' party-poopers, huh?

12/27/2005 8:06 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Ah, so nice to have you circulating in Blogdom again. I've missed your wit and humor (or is it humour?) We have a group of 3 other couples who we get together with every year. Since it's so hard to find a sitter on New Year's Eve we all bring our kids in their pj's and put them to bed all over the house around 8:30. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but it's still really fun. Shortly after the ball drops everyone packs up and goes home.

12/27/2005 9:15 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

BTW- LOVE the hat.

12/27/2005 9:16 AM

 
Blogger Sugarmama said...

I stopped doing anything really extravagant for New Year's some time ago. Actually last year I was pregnant and exhausted, so I went to bed early and had my husband wake me for the countdown. As for resolutions, my one resolution last year was to make an entire quilt. I had just taken my first quilting class and the idea was to make myself keep doing it because I actually liked it. To date, I've made a small baby quilt, a wall-hanging, and some baby blankets but still haven't finished the queen-sized quilt I originally had in mind (though I did complete the top). This year I'm thinking something a little more serious...

12/27/2005 10:01 AM

 
Blogger Kim C. said...

I'm beginning to fall into the "I'm bored; I'm going to sleep" camp, but about 6 years ago we did something really fun: had a baby! Our little Millenium Girl was born at 1:58AM, the first baby for counties around. We had a front page full color spread in the local paper.
So in another year or two, she'll be old enough to stay up til midnight. Then we'll start ringing in the New Year with a birthday party. *That* will be worth staying up late.

12/27/2005 10:14 AM

 
Blogger Squishy Burrito said...

Popcorn, movies, and the little one tucked in her bed nearby.

PS - I missed out on last weeks tip for tuesday but we make a 12 hour drive frequently (call us crazy). Sadly the only thing that works for us is if I sit in the back with the kid. I entertain for the 12 long hours (minus a few naps) but the sreaming is pretty much nil so a good pay off.

12/27/2005 11:00 AM

 
Blogger bon said...

Ha! Resolutions? We don't need no stinkin' resolutions! K, well maybe I do, But I'm still not going near them.

a few times in this neighborhood we have gone to a friends house for a wee party... but with three kids? I think this year we will pack it in as early as Pearl lets us and call it good!

12/27/2005 1:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I rarely do anything to celebrate. Debauchery in the bars and at parties just isn't much fun now that I'm married and not looking around, anticipating. And my husband has to work every single New Year's Eve without fail, so I don't even get to spend it with him. (He works nights, thirteen-hour shifts.) I usually stay up late, just because, realize that it's after midnight, and shuffle off to bed.

12/27/2005 5:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty bad at the resolutions thing, but my dad used to make resolutions and keep them, like the year he decided not to eat candy for an entire year--and he made it!!! He was a farmer that used to gain a lot of weight in the winter and decided that wasn't so good. I also have a daughter that made that same resolution, just to see if she could, and didn't eat candy for two and a half years!!! They say things skip generations....unfortunately. Happy new year to everyone!

12/28/2005 12:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Kathryn! I hope you had a great Christmas.

As for moi and New Years, I wouldn't say I'm excited about it. Mostly, it's bittersweet. Now that I have a child, the passage of time seems even faster--and more painful. I'm usually crying when the clock strikes midnight--not so much because of sadness but because I just feel so grateful. This year, I'm thankful that my father survived the major heart attack he had in March and is still with us. I'm also overwhelmed with joy over the little boy my baby has become over the past year.

As for resolutions. . .I tend to think that making them sets most people up for failure, especially if they're weight or addiction related. Personally, I think I need to spend some of 2006 just learning not to be so hard on myself.

12/28/2005 5:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and am really enjoying it! Hope you have a happy new year!

12/30/2005 6:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home