On Her Flying Trapeze

Monday, December 12, 2005

By Popular Demand

music box


I've had requests to publish my Dad's Seven Sevens and he kindly gave me permission. He is the best dad in the world and I love him dearly. (Interspersed are pictures of a few of the things he's made for our family in his workshop.)

chess setSeven Things I want to do before I die:
1. Have a stand alone, dedicated workshop of sufficient size to keep and use all of my tools in their own place, without having to move them around on wheels.
2. Learn to turn stuff on a lathe – bowls, spindles, pens, etc.
3. Build a Grandfather Clock (the case, not the mechanism)
4. Retire
5. Be able to spend 2 consecutive weeks at the beach in the summer, 2 weeks (not necessarily consecutive) camping and hiking in the mountains, and 1 week cruising, each year.
6. Weigh less than 180 pounds, and feel physically fit.
7. Be a professional Santa with my own full beard, and long hair for at least one Christmas season.
8. Go to Hawaii, New Zealand, and Fiji.
9. Go to Adam Ondi Ahman.
10. Learn to play the guitar using the Travis picking method.
11. Grow a big garden and preserve enough vegetables (bottled and root cellar) to last the winter.
12. Have a solar powered house that generates enough electricity back to the power company to zero out my power bill for the whole year.
13. Take Heather’s Hub, and any other in-laws and their spouses who would like to, backpacking for a week in the Canadian Rockies.
14. Read Don Quijote de la Mancha in the original Spanish in its entirety.

Seven Things I cannot do:
1. Count (see the 1st seven above)
2. Stop loving your mom.
3. Stop loving my children or being concerned for their happiness.
4. Play any sport with any degree of competence.
5. Watch an emotional or touching scene in a movie without getting choked up.
6. Sleep through the night without getting up at least once to go to the bathroom.
7. Fly (under my own power).
8. Remember things when I want to (it’s usually more like random recall) (this one is legal, cause # 1 was a joke – I really can count).

Seven Things That Attract Me to My Spouse:
1. She’s gorgeous.
2. She loves me.
3. She laughs at me (usually only when I’m trying to be funny).
4. She cares about others.
5. She’s a great cook.
6. She likes to be with me.
7. She’s smart.

cedar lined hope chestSeven Things I say often:
1. The older I get, the sooner I can retire.
2. Did you hear about….. (usually followed by some joke or other)
3. I love you.
4. Honey, have you seen…….? (whatever it is that I’ve currently lost).
5. Drive Safe!!!
6. Thank You. (probably not enough, but, yeah quite a lot).
7. Hey Honey, come look at this….. (wood working project)

Seven Books of Book Series I love:
1. The scriptures.
2. Battle Cry – Leon Uris.
3. The Lord of the Rings (and The Hobbit).
4. Harry Potter
5. The Work and the Glory
6. Most James Michener books.
7. My leather bound copy of Don Quijote de la Mancha, in the original Spanish. I’ve never read it all the way through yet, but someday I will.

Seven Movies I could watch over and over:
1. The Lord of the Rings.
2. Home Alone (I and II).
3. The Princess Bride.
4. Undercover Blues.
5. The Frisco Kid.
6. Pirates of the Caribbean.
7. A Knight’s Tale

wood horse

9 Comments:

Blogger Regina said...

DYM- your dad sounds so great! And funny! Thanks for posting that!

12/12/2005 9:49 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

He is priceless. What a lucky lucky family you have.

12/12/2005 10:00 PM

 
Blogger Heather said...

Yay, Dad!!! We are a lucky family.

12/12/2005 10:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dad passed away in 2001. Your dad reminds me of him as my dad loved woodworking and playing Santa. My house is filled with things he has made and those things are dearly cherished. I can tell you feel as I do, very blessed to have such a special dad. I, also, wanted to say, my dad played santa for kids for many years using his own beard. He looked just like Santa! He filled many kids' Christmas with joy! I hope your dad does this. It's truly a rewarding experience!

12/13/2005 5:02 AM

 
Blogger Sugarmama said...

Wow, you have such a great dad! My own dad was out of our lives by the time I was 4. You're a lucky woman, and so is your mom. I love the woodwork projects, too.

12/13/2005 7:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is the best friend I have ever had and I am so thankful to get to share my life with him. (The wonderful wooden gifts are just an added perk.)

12/13/2005 10:34 AM

 
Blogger blackbird said...

WHO?
Who has the dearest Dad in the world?
YOU...
I'm thinking.

12/14/2005 12:48 PM

 
Blogger Ortensia Norton said...

So neat. Thanks for printing that. I love your family.

12/14/2005 7:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, I have came by in search of information. I was told that blogs have some of the best and most relevent information for any given subject. Mine happens to be a the rocking horse winner summary gift website that has anything from jewelry to horse tack. So I am looking for new products and information based on the rocking horse winner summary to offer my customers and possibly some good marketing ideas for my website.

Websites that I have and all the work involved in keeping several of them going and updating blogs I am at best posting once a month.

I have enjoyed your blog and am thankfull to be able to sort of pick your brain without actually bothering you. Blogs tend to stand out because a lot of them people don't try and sale so much as to write about things that they enjoy or what they like to do.
Most of which comes out in there writing.

I want to grow and build my website to be the best and know I have much to learn and fix to even come close.

I have been online for 8 months now so yes we are very young.

We have taken what we love and have turned it into a business.
I hope you come by to visit. I am not trying to sale you anything but would love to here if you have any ideas.

Thank you for your time.
the rocking horse winner summary

2/01/2006 3:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home