On Her Flying Trapeze

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Guy Kawasaki - My New Best Friend

One fine collegiate day I was walking on BYU campus when I spotted a guy across the quad who looked SO familiar. It was amazing. I was sure I had seen him somewhere before, but not once, not twice, but over and over and over again. I felt I had seen him so many times that we had possibly been very good friends at another time in my life, possibly even relatives.

My casual glances turned into stares and eventually I made a direct beeline for the dude with one question on my mind. “Do you recognize me?” He looked so familiar that I simply HAD to discover our past connection.

As I drew closer, he began looking at me and smiling, a quizzical look on his face. I smiled and continued to close in, never breaking eye contact until I stopped, alarmed, 3 feet in front of him. It was Steve Young. No relation to Daring “Young” Mom.

My eyes widened. I turned on my heel and marched firmly back across the quad.

I’m the girl who walked up to Melissa my first 10 minutes at BlogHer and asked her name and whether or not she had a blog. Yeah, she’s tampering with a little blog called Suburban Bliss.

I got an email at the conference from my father-in-law Pops telling me that Guy Kawasaki would be at the FilmLoop booth and I should go over and say hi. “Sure,” says I. “I’ll go chat it up.”

So I walk over to the booth and start asking everyone their names. I can’t remember his name at this point but I’m sure if I hear it, it’ll ring a bell. None of their names are soundin’ familiar. So I start asking if there’s anyone else who might be working the booth later on and what their names might be. Do they know anyone else in the company with another name than the ones they’ve been listing?

The woman at the booth finally comes out and asks me why I want to know.
Me: Well, I’m supposed to meet somebody named “Guy Something”.
Booth-Lady with British Accent: You mean Guy Kawasaki?
Me: Ye-AH! That’s it. He here?
BLBA: He’ll be here tomorrow but I’m sure he’ll be absolutely swarmed.
Me: Cool. I’ll just stop by.
BLBA: He’ll really be swarmed. Would you like me to set up an appointment with him?
Me: I… I… don’t know who he… is? My father-in-law told me to say hi.
BLBA: We should probably set up an appointment.
Me: No, I really don’t have a clue who he is. I’ll just try to catch him tomorrow.

The next day in a moment of Zen I not only see Guy across an empty ballroom, but I actually recognize him (okay, how many Asian MEN were actually at BlogHer?) and yell out, “HEY! Are you Guy?”


guy kawasaki

“Yeah” he says in that there’s-a-Wikipedia-entry-about-me-but-I-still-try-to-act-like-a-regular-“Guy” tone of voice. I explain that although I have no idea who he is, I’d really like to take a picture with him to pass along to my daddy-in-law. He humors me.

Pops - This one's for you!

24 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

Seriously, how much do I love you? You rock, missy.

8/02/2006 11:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is hilarious! :) I'm glad you and Guy are now tight.

8/03/2006 12:49 AM

 
Blogger Jeana said...

"HEY! Are you Guy?"

Oooooh, you crack me up.

And, you really didn't know who he is? He owns that motorcycle company, right? Wait, keyboards?

8/03/2006 4:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are very funny. And you got to meet a famous person..I too would not know Guy if I tripped over him.

8/03/2006 5:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you.

Honestly, I have never laughed so hard in a single weekend.

And I have your curling iron. How will you get those curly locks without it?

8/03/2006 5:40 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, look on the bright side. At least you're not running up to complete strangers, mistaking them for someone else and reaching out to give them a hug...only to then realize you've never seen this person in your life. But not before seeing the fear in their eyes.

Not that I'd know anything about this....

8/03/2006 7:03 AM

 
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

That is hysterical!

I had no idea who he was as well!

Your father in law is probably thrilled!

8/03/2006 7:18 AM

 
Blogger Ginger said...

Whoa. Impressive.

So did anyone yell, "Are you Daring Young Mom?" and come flying across the convention center for a picture with you?

I would've.

8/03/2006 8:06 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that Steve Young moment is priceless. I saw him on campus once, too -- but I knew who he was.

8/03/2006 8:12 AM

 
Blogger Grammy said...

I think you should've freaked them all out by yelling, "Cousin, Steve! (or Guy) It's been soooo long! How are you? How's your Mom?' Leave 'em wondering I always say.

8/03/2006 8:28 AM

 
Blogger Linsey Farley Jameson said...

LOL!!!! That Steve Young story is so great! I expected him to look a little more confused in that picture, but it just looks like old friends! lol!

8/03/2006 8:32 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't care what the others say, I think you're awesome! Guy is not only famous -- amongst some people, anyway -- but he has an interesting blog. He made a serious error recently, however, when he listed a bunch of Mommy Blogs on his blog but somehow left out DYM. Had you known that, you could have chastised him for it...or not...

One of the freaky things that has happened to me as I've aged is that I can look at a person for a few minutes and then suddenly they seem familiar, as if I've known them for a long time. Strange...

8/03/2006 8:34 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've probably offended so many people, not realizing how "special" they are. Oh, well, it's these moments that bring them back to earth. I just hope I recognize Jesus when he comes back. :)

Do you think you'll go next year?

8/03/2006 9:13 AM

 
Blogger j.sterling said...

i STILL don't know who he is. LOL.. i suck!

8/03/2006 10:04 AM

 
Blogger The Complimenting Commenter said...

That is a great post. Very funny and entertaining. At least you got your picture!

8/03/2006 10:21 AM

 
Blogger Lara said...

Oh, Steve Young and I are so tight! Or we would be if we had ever me. I dated someone who played football with him at BYU. That makes us almost related doesn't it? Same with Marie Osmond. Dated someone who dated her. Makes me want to call her radio show and ask her how her kids are doing.

Heck, if I read someone's blog I think we're best friends! When are you coming over for Oreo Cheesecake?

(I'm not old enough to be dating guys that old by the way.)

8/03/2006 8:51 PM

 
Blogger Cristina said...

I didn't know Guy was famous! I emailed him the other day about his blog cuz he was listing mommy blogs and he was really nice and e-mailed me back and listed my site. But I didn't really know who he was.

Anyhow, I was sitting behind you at BlogHer on Sat night and like a freaky stalker I just checked you out and didn't say hi. I don't know why. I think I didn't want to disrupt you cuz you were blogging, but now I feel like a dufus b/c I was RIGHT next to you and didn't introduce myself. Next year....

8/03/2006 9:34 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8/04/2006 12:52 AM

 
Blogger Kelly said...

That is a GREAT pic of you and "Guy Whateverhisnameis".
I love the Steve story as well.
I would have loved to see your face!

8/04/2006 12:54 AM

 
Blogger Alicia said...

I had no idea who Guy was/is until this post. You are not alone!

I would, however, know Steve Young. I mean, seriously. Are you really a Mormon??

8/05/2006 11:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know who that is, either. But I'm impressed with your tenacity. And you're so darn cute!

8/06/2006 11:14 AM

 
Blogger Tracie Nall said...

Great story!!

8/06/2006 2:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this. Those are the kinds of things I would do, too.

8/06/2006 3:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss you, you post so infrequently now, what, do you have a life away from the computer or something? ;-)

8/07/2006 9:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home