On Her Flying Trapeze

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Simple Pleasures of a Saturday

I keep another blog on the website of a local newspaper. The paper requires commenters to register with their site in order to leave comments. I haven’t been writing there for long and let’s just say I get very few comments… pretty much zilch.

I was excited to see that I’d gotten a comment on yesterday’s post, a repost from my DYM archives, entitled “Conversating.”

The commenter had this to say:
"conversating" is not a word. perhaps you meant "conversing."

I retorted wittily:
Perhaps I make up words on my blog at all times.

So, I’ma guessin’ when yer a “citizen journalist” for a major noozlepaper, yer not appost to be amakin’ up yerz own wordslies. I’ll keep that in mind. Strangely, I’m still happy to have received the comment.

Other highlights of my weekend so far:

Heavy Drinking
saturday soySince Magoo’s intervention at Miss Karli’s house a couple of weeks ago to confront him about his serious drinking problem, he’s made great strides and has fallen back off the wagon as we’d hoped. He’s back in the sauce, so to speak, guzzling mommy-milk, water, diluted juice and his new favorite – soy milk, or as Laylee calls it – sorry milk.

Dealing
saturday sale
The semi-annual community garage sale was this weekend and I scored a few sweet deals, including several $1 pairs of Stride Rite sneakers for Magoo (I shouldn’t even be typing this. I think the people at Stride Rite are militantly opposed to this kind of podia-pediatric travesty. You must never, never reuse a pair of children’s shoes, lest your child end up with gimpy-malformed-stepatitis.), a VHS copy of Snow White which Laylee has never seen before (Funny, eh? Since she thinks that’s her name and the name of her 16 year-old imaginary sister) and a whole ton of “bestselling” books to trade in for the ones I really want on Frugal Reader. Yippee!

The Undead
The potted plant Dan brought me on my day of sadness, rage and attempted sewing machinicide is still alive and there are even a few baby gerbers popping up for some extra spring sunshine.

saturday not dead


A Debt Repaid
saturday thanksForgiveness and healing can now begin. Today I received, via the United States Postal Service, a long awaited note of apology and a check to repay me for a night out on the town with my friend Ceci 7 years ago. The bitterness was so very very hard for me to bear and I am so glad that she decided to come clean and send me the money she owed me for taking her out to dinner when she drove down from Canada to visit me for the weekend when I was a college student SEVEN YEARS AGO. Are you kidding me? Dude! I bought you a burrito. You drove down from CANADA to see me! I laughed out loud when I read her note of apology. Ceci – if you’re reading this, you make me smile. If you’re not reading this:
ARE.
YOU.
KIDDING.
ME?
(In case you’re wondering, I’m keeping the money. It’s going into my “Send Daring to Blogher Blog-a-thon Fund.” More on the SDBBF to come.)

Square Waffles
Dad and Laylee made dinner tonight and we learned two things:
1. I buy too many Eggos – Laylee is so impressed at the sight of SQUARE waffles.
2. Sugar TASTES JUST LIKE CANDY.

saturday waffles

Pinkish
It takes two drops of red food coloring to make bath-time a magical experience.

saturday pink

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have such interesting days. I find you to be such a breath of fresh air. Thanks for the idea on the bath water. Your gerber daisy just made my day just looking at it. The waffles made me hungry for a midnight snack, and Magoo made me want apple juice. I don't like reading, but the books made me click till I got the link for the frugal thingy, so all in all you pretty much inspired me...LOL
Hugs......

4/23/2006 1:21 AM

 
Blogger Regina said...

Wow- pink bath water- that has got to be the best! And I love waffles-mom used to make us waffles and ice cream every Friday night during Lent- is that great or what?! Love that you are blogging in the newspaper- people and their comments- I say if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!

4/23/2006 4:09 AM

 
Blogger Nicole said...

I love your idea about the bath...will have to remember that when Eli goes through a 'no-bath' phase (as I'm sure he will).

4/23/2006 4:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude! You make me laugh...always.

As for the pink bathwater, does it stain if it gets splashed out of the tub?

4/23/2006 6:58 AM

 
Blogger andrea said...

All these sweet, lovely comments on the pink bath whereas my* first impression was, "Who bled in the bath?" Norman Bates, eat your heart out.

4/23/2006 7:41 AM

 
Blogger Papa said...

I'm with Laylee on this one... It is sorry milk... or a sorry excuse for milk.

Go Laylee!!!

4/23/2006 8:36 AM

 
Blogger Erin said...

Does the pink bathwater stain anything? The tub, the children or the towels?

4/23/2006 8:37 AM

 
Blogger Grammy said...

Now that was a fun post. You continue to make me smile and I love following your rambling thoughts. I think Laylee is brillinat. Soy milk has always seems just a little bit "sorry" to me and sugar does (in fact) taste very much like candy. Smart kid you've got there!

4/23/2006 8:39 AM

 
Blogger Beth said...

Mmmmm....sugar. You're right, sugar DOES taste just like candy. Although candy is MUCH more fun to eat. Don't beat yourself up. We are a strictly Eggo family. Seriously, all your made-up words sounded just like my husband's family (great-aunts and -uncles, and his grandpa.) They are hicks from waaaay back. I love listening to them talk. And hey, it's about darn time your friend paid you back for that burrito. Those suckers are expensive! Hasn't the Washington weather been great this weekend? I love it!

4/23/2006 9:28 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Food-Coloring Bathtime. You are an amazing mom!

4/23/2006 9:32 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say "conversating" all the time and my husband corrects me. I also say "funner" which has officially been named a word by the Oxford Dictionary, along with "Duh." My husband has my daughter convinced that her favorite color is blue, so we'll have to have some deep blue bath fun!

4/23/2006 9:45 AM

 
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

The food colored water was splashed all over the place and it does not appear to have stained anything. I did use a VERY small amount in a LARGE amount of water.

Of course it did stain before it was fully diluted so mix well.

4/23/2006 10:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As to your question. Darn right I was serious. I repay my debts. (even if they are 7 years old).

4/23/2006 11:15 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dym, your posts make me so happy. i'm fairly certain that we'd be mortal enemies in real life (kidding!), but since the internet is a place of love and happiness...

4/23/2006 12:02 PM

 
Blogger Lei said...

food coloring - awesome idea! And score on the garage sale finds... i love it!

4/23/2006 7:16 PM

 
Blogger Susan said...

Made up words are the bestest.

4/23/2006 7:33 PM

 
Blogger leakysieve said...

We have the same plates.
And the same sugar candy problem.

4/23/2006 9:12 PM

 
Blogger bon said...

I am totally gonna do the pink bath!

4/24/2006 2:36 PM

 
Blogger Kathryn said...

Down here in the South, conversatin' is a real word... :-)
The trick is to leave off the g at the end...and it is usually used with a plural pronoun and a singular verb, as in "we was conversatin'"...

4/24/2006 5:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home