On Her Flying Trapeze

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Day of Rest

Since today is Sunday, a day of rest, I thought I’d dazzle you all with my amazing meme-o-licious, fill-in-the-blank writing skills.

I’ve been tagged by Sarah from Mothering on the Edge, who apparently thinks I’m worthy of inviting over to play. I hope my kids never stop saying, “going over to play” and never start saying “going over to hang out.”

Kitchen Day
1. How many meals does most of your family eat at home each week? How many are in your family?
We eat out about twice per month. DYD eats out for lunch every day because he just can’t get enough of that MegaCorp tomato soup. How many are “in” my family? Well, if we eat them, then I’d say they were ALL “in” my family…

2. How many cookbooks do you own?
Over 30. There are maybe 12 that I use on a regular basis.

3. How often do you refer to a cookbook each week?

What do you mean “refer”? I look at them a lot. They are pretty. They have pictures of yummy, nutritious and beautiful food. To make something, maybe 4 times per week.

4. Do you collect recipes from other sources? If so, what are some of your favorite sources (relatives, friends, magazines, advertisements, packages, the internet, etc)
Um…all of those things…and my fellow mammary-gland proprietors. I have become quite good at making an exotic milk dish that Magoo finds scrum-diddly-umptious.

5. How do you store those recipes?
I freeze them cryogenically so that in the year 2098, when all recipes have become extinct, I will still be able to wow my homies with pork-rind chili bean casserole.

Seriously, I put untried recipes in a folder to be tested. Once I’ve tried them and decided they’re a keeper, I type them up in a 5x7 format, print them off on cardstock and put them in a recipe box for everyday use. The electronic copy goes on my PDA so I can buy ingredients if I decide to make a recipe last minute when I’m already out and about.

6. When you cook, do you follow the recipe pretty closely, or do you use recipes primarily to give you ideas?
If you don’t follow the recipe exactly, at least the first time, “they” will come and find you. You know—“them”. And you know what “they” do. Yeah, everyone knows. So the second time around, “they” are a little more merciful. On the second time through with a recipe, I like to play around a bit.

7. Is there a particular ethnic style or flavor that predominates in your cooking? If so, what is it?

I have stated previously that I am ¼ Indian. If it weren’t so darned time consuming, I’d cook Indian food every day. As it is, my cooking is predominated by pasta because it’s easy. I suppose that makes me ½ Italian on the lazy side of my family.

8. What’s your favorite kitchen task related to meal planning and preparation?

Measuring. I like to measure things and count. Counting is fun. I especially like counting out 12 quarter-cups because my bigger measuring cups are dirty, only to have Laylee stand next to me and begin, 9, 7, 13, eleven-teen. That is the BEST.

9. What’s your least favorite part?
Grating. On my nerves, it is.

10. Do you plan menus before you shop?
Yessir.

11. What are your three favorite kitchen tools or appliances?
-KitchenAid
-electronic kitchen scale
-the atomic easy-clean kitchen button that I push as I walk out, run away fast and then NEVER look over my shoulder at the light, the blinding light, searing my eyes. Then all is spotless. That was a good investment. Don’t listen to those environmental nut-jobs. They wouldn’t know a clean kitchen if it ran smack into them in their tie-dyed bio-diesel hybrid refurbished recumbent bikes.

12. If you could buy one new thing for your kitchen, money was no object, and space not an issue, what would you most like to have?
Now that I’ve got that atomic clean-o-matic thing, there’s not much left on my wishlist. I think I’d settle for a red 7-cup DLC-2007N Cuisinart food processor, pronounced Queezenard.

13. Since money and space probably are objects, what are you most likely to buy next?
Jeans.

14. Do you have a separate freezer for storage?
My upstairs neighbors never use theirs. I know a way in. Yes, I am serious.

15. Grocery shop alone or with others?

Yes.

16. How many meatless main dish meals do you fix in a week?
Your mom. I don’t know. Stop grilling me with your endless questions. Who are you, some kitchen data research firm? Leave me alone and stop staring at my banana bread.

17. If you have a decorating theme in your kitchen, what is it? Favorite kitchen colors?

Red. I mostly use pomegranates and “meat juice.”

18. What’s the first thing you ever learned to cook, and how old were you?
I “helped” a lot when I was little. The first project I remember tackling on my own was soft cheesy pretzels, sometime in elementary school. I’ve always liked it cheesy.

19. How did you learn to cook?

Grammy. She was called “Mom” back then. Times change.

20. Tag 2 people to do this or their computers will burst into flames and your blog will be cursed with 30 days of heckling comments.

No.

10 Comments:

Blogger JD said...

Teach me the ways of Cheesy pretzels. PLEASE!!!

3/12/2006 10:36 PM

 
Blogger Grammy said...

For anyone who couldn't tell, the girl is a "cookin' fool". Yes, DYM is the queen of any kitchen she enters and when she comes to my house she always makes at least on fantastical evening meal. Oh, come to my house DYM. I miss you and your cooking.

3/13/2006 3:47 AM

 
Blogger Sarah Jean said...

Ha! I love it--thanks, DYM!

3/13/2006 7:11 AM

 
Blogger Heth said...

You are way too organized. I'm inspired.

3/13/2006 8:04 AM

 
Blogger Goslyn said...

I'm not sure if I'm impressed, scared or jealous that you actually TYPE up your recipes and then store the file in your PDA. Wow.

Course, I'm not much of a recipe follower ... but that sure would be handy. Want to come tackle my recipe box?

3/13/2006 8:33 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heckle heckle.

and Miles is LOVING my delicous mammary concoction.

3/13/2006 9:12 AM

 
Blogger Kristi said...

Impressive, that whole downloading to your PDA thing. My recipes? Well, though I am working on a way to organize them, they are on scraps of whatever is laying around at the time.

3/13/2006 1:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DYM, you are the most hilarious and uplifting blogger I've ever found! I appreciate your point of view very much!

-Amy

3/13/2006 6:54 PM

 
Blogger Notes from the Trenches said...

I was giggling all the way through this post, but the pomegranate and meat juice made me laugh out loud. I want to be as organized as you one day.

3/13/2006 7:23 PM

 
Blogger sweet mama entropy said...

You mentioned Indian food again (and it's time consumingness), so I just had to share. As someone who also pines for the Bombay House, I thought you might like to know that I've been experimenting with a Chicken Tikka Masala recipe lately. It's been so long since I've eaten there that I'm not sure how closely it resembles their dish (it tastes indian), but if you'd like to try it email me and I'll send it over. (And if you do try it, I'd love your input on it's flavor - maybe you can think of a spice that's missing or something). And it doesn't take that much in-the-kitchen time (though it does simmer for awhile).

3/14/2006 7:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home