On Her Flying Trapeze

Monday, November 07, 2005

Whoopty Froopty Doo - Let's ALL Have a Cow!

When I am sick, I am often irritable. When I am irritable, I am often snippy. When I am snippy, I am often embarrassed or annoyed by my children repeating phrases of my snippidity over and over and over again.

Tonight Magoo was whining, part of his teething ritual. Laylee was also whining and saying my name over and over and over again and asking me to do impossible tasks. “Mommy. Mommy. Mommy. Please put this 10’X10’ blanket into my purse the size of a sandwich baggie.” “Please. Mommy. Mommy. Mommy.”

I think that’s why we all just tell them our name is Mommy and keep our real identity a secret for as long as possible. We don’t want to grow to hate our own names.


Amdist all this whining, I was stomping around the house looking for some important papers I’d misplaced during my days of pathetic sickness. My two-year-old stalker was hot on my heels and I turned to her and said, “You’d better leave me alone now or Mommy is going to HAVE A COW.”

Laylee: Are you going to have a cow, Mommy?

Me: Yes.

Laylee (delighted): OH! Can I have a cow too Mommy?

Me: Sure. I think you already are.

Laylee: Can Magoo have a cow too Mommy? How about Daddy? Can Daddy have a cow?

Me(madly shuffling through papers): Yes, we can all have a cow. Let’s everybody have a cow. Yippee! It’s cow time. Let’s all have a big fat cow.

Laylee(very excited): O-KAY!

An hour later it’s bedtime and Laylee won’t stop crying

“I can’t go to bed. Mommy said we could all have a cow. I want a cow. Can we go to the store and get a cow? I want a pink cow. Daddy, do you want a white cow and mommy do you want a pink cow like me? Let’s all have a cow. Please. I don’t want to go to bed………WAAAAAHHHHH”

Luckily DY Dad saved the day with a great old trick called, “Let’s-pretend-this-pink-doll-jamma-is-a-pink-cow-and-eat-you-and-tickle-you-all-over-with-it-until-you-forget-why-you-were-in-fact-having-a-cow.”

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

"I think that’s why we all just tell them our name is Mommy and keep our real identity a secret for as long as possible. We don’t want to grow to hate our own names."

LOL I am rolling on the floor laughing. THIS IS SO TRUE!!!!

11/08/2005 8:12 AM

 
Blogger Kim C. said...

I tell my girls that I was named Mom after my mom, just like Daddy was named Perry after his dad.
The faces I get in return are hilarious! They know something is amiss with my logic, but they can never quite put it into words.

11/08/2005 8:29 AM

 
Blogger Nantie Meg said...

I love DY Dad!! he is so great. You were right with the theory that nerds make the best husbands.

11/08/2005 8:47 AM

 
Blogger Heather said...

Also rolling on the floor. Well actually, just laughing while typing. I think the final sentence puts DY Dad in contention for smartest father of the year. Can I have a cow, too???

11/08/2005 11:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is about the funniest thing I have ever heard. Do you remember when you kids were little and I got sick of the "Mommy, mommy, mommy" bit and told you Mommy had run away from home and changed her name to Frieda"? After the initial look of consternation, it didn't take you too long to start yelling "Frieda, Frieda, Frieda!" You just can't win in the motherhood game.

11/08/2005 12:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you're feeling better DYM. So, DY Dad, you"re a nerd, eh? Fun! :) Good to know! Do nerds play lead saxaphone in presigious bands? I though those were the "hip" ones? :) I think maybe you wear more than a few hats, as well as wigs! Sure love you. (I'm related, I can say that!)

11/08/2005 10:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home