On Her Flying Trapeze

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

In Honor of Yesterday's Election...

....and to tick of 99% of my readers. Let's get political. Everyone always does lists about their favorite flavor of ice cream or which member of the Backstreet Boys they'd rather make out with. I may do one of those lists sometime but for now-

Here’s a list of why I drive political pollsters nuts:

1. I am an actively religious pro-lifer (minus the hand-grenades).
2. I believe in a woman’s right to choose whether she has sex or not.
3. I believe abortion should be allowed in cases of rape or extreme health risk to the mother.
4. I once directed a documentary about rape and sexual assault.
5. I do not condem anyone who has had an abortion.
6. The only person I have the right to judge is myself.
7. I do support stem cell research using leftover embryos from invitro fertilizations that were planned to be discarded anyway.
8. I want to know more about this, as several people I respect are against it.
9. I think parital-birth abortion is abhorrent.
10. I’m not a fan of Bill Clinton.
11. I’m not a fan of any of the candidates in last year’s presidential election.
12. That was a rough election for me.
13. I grew up in Canada with socialized medicine.
14. I love the idea of free medical care for every person.
15. I don’t like the thought of having to wait several months for important medical procedures, like many Canadians have to.
16. I have the best medical insurance in the country and maybe it makes me selfish but I like seeing the doctor of my choice when I want to.
17. I feel guilty that so many Americans don’t have access at all.
18. I believe strongly in funding for the arts and am not bothered when some of it goes to art projects I fully don’t agree with. Some people would fully not agree with the documentaries I make but I’d still like consideration.
19. I listen and donate to NPR.
20. I do not trust Ann Coulter or Al Franken.
21. Al Franken is funnier.
22. We do not currently have cable.
23. When we do have cable, I enjoy watching The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.
24. I believe in separation of church and state.
25. I think “under God” should be left in the pledge of allegiance.
26. I believe in freedom of religion.
27. I think it’s great that kids are learning about all kinds of religions in public schools.
28. I think Christianity should be one of them.
29. I am willing to pay more in taxes if they are being spent wisely.
30. I support increased funding for education.
31. I think teachers should be exceptional and accountable.
32. I think teachers should be paid more and respected more.
33. I am considering partial home schooling as part of my children’s education.
34. I know that what they learn from me is more important than anything they’ll learn in school.
35. I always planned to stay home with my kids, largely out of duty.
36. I struggled with that decision until I actually started doing it and now I wouldn't have it any other way.
37. I consider it a blessing that we’re financially able for me to stay home and raise our children.
38. I belong to a church that encourages free-thinking and differences of political opinion but whose membership is largely Republican.
39. I support funding for the environment.
40. I think we give too many breaks to big businesses.
41. I support our military and am amazed at the sacrifice they make for us every day.
42. Their heroism is inspirational to me.
43. I struggle within my soul to find real support for the Iraq war.
44. I want to be informed.
45. I don’t want to feel violated by the information presented to me.
46. I do not affiliate with any political party.
47. I vote in every election and primary.
48. I vote for the candidate who has the most power to change the issue that I see as most important under her/his jurisdiction.
49. I sometimes consider running for office but I’m pretty sure no one would vote for me because I don’t fit in any box on a grid.
50. I feel pathetically uninformed but don't know of any media source I can trust to give me the full picture.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, they pretty much think that if you're a Christian, your political beliefs are thus and so. The thing is, most of us aren't cookie cutters of each other, just because we are followers of Christ. I am a devout Christian and my husband is a minister. But when it comes to politics, I definitely lean to the left.

11/09/2005 4:33 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I second Ms. Surcie.

11/09/2005 6:29 PM

 
Blogger Crazy Baby Lady said...

Although I may not agree with you on some points, I respect you so much for putting it out there. I am not a religious person and was raised in a very libral family of Democrats. I find it very hard to get along with others that don't share my beliefs because they are qick to judge and simply (and rudely) tell me that I am wrong. I think it is very important to keep an open mind amd I always love to listen to others point of views. You can never have too much information. Thank you for bing so honest, It is refreshing.

4/24/2006 11:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home