On Her Flying Trapeze

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Layered T’s and High-Waisted Jeans

Well, I am so in love with all these long layered t-shirts and tank tops everywhere. For the first time ever since being a mom, I can bend over and pick up my kids without mooning everyone or resorting to high-waisted, peg-legged jeans. It is fabulous. I have them in every color and have become completely obsessed with layers. So, although it may appear that I’m taking fashion advice from Avril Lavigne or my kids’ high-school-aged-babysitters, I’m actually just trying to avoid exposing myself as I pick up drool-soaked cheerios off the floor of the airport.

But yesterday I started to get worried. What will happen 10 years from now when layers are no longer in style? I feel very strongly that I will still wear them regardless. So, that pretty much puts me on par with all of those women who still wear their oh-so-popular-in-the-80’s-dorky-mom-jeans. I finally understand these women. They were so excited to finally have clothes that allowed to them to move around in their motherly duties without giving a free show to passersby that they couldn’t let go when low-rise wide-legged jeans came back in style.

I picture my children years from now throwing their hands up in exasperation, “Mom, what’s with the LAYERS? How many shirts can you wear at one time? It’s so embarrassing.” I will likely just laugh at them - my secret little laugh that says, “OOOOhhhh, one day you’ll understand but right now I couldn’t care less if you think I’m a dork.”

Besides, I was always a little suspicious of my friends’ middle-aged moms who dressed exactly the same way we did in Junior High. You know, the “cool” moms? Why were they trying to look like us? Were they attempting to go undercover and infiltrate our society? Because it wasn’t working. You could always tell them apart from the other Junior High kids because they wore way too much makeup and had driver’s licenses.

And think about it. If the kids are teaching the moms how to look, dress and act, who’s teaching the kids?

dead link

4 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

My mom still wears the 80's dorky mom jeans. I don't mind, but it drives my sister crazy.

9/26/2005 4:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loves it...but dun b dissin Avril Lavigne, SHE ROX!!!

9/29/2005 7:20 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not so sure about avril and the rox-i-ness? but, ok

9/29/2005 10:16 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Avril and the rox-i-ness? Don't know about that so much.

9/29/2005 11:40 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home