On Her Flying Trapeze

Friday, October 14, 2005

Lawyers and Annoying Things

these peopleMy lawyer Andrea (pronounced on-dray-ah) has an impeccable sense of timing. Our first meeting with her coincided with Laylee’s most infamous poop smearing incident to date. We discovered it 2 minutes before we were supposed to leave to name the beneficiaries in our will. Let’s just say that when Andrea asked who we wanted to leave all our earthly belongings to, “these people” did not appear to be likely candidates.

Now I’m dying, well at least I’m sick as a cheese, and yesterday I had my first major jaunt out into the world of the living – yes, it was a meeting with Andrea to sign my last will and testament. I do think I’m on the mend. Today I graduated to pants with an elastic waist. I’m almost there clothes-wise.

While I was out, I had to stop by Old Navy b/c, being a “preferred cardholder,” I had a $10 off coupon I HAD to use. They sure are tricky, those credit card people. It was a coupon for $10 off if you spend $50. Let’s just say I spent a tiiitch over $50. The kids can’t go naked, OKAY? Get off my back. When your 4 month old son is already wearing 9-12 month clothes, shopping becomes a major necessity. That card is actually pretty great, as far as rewards goes, if you shop at any or all of the 3 stores.

offersWhich brings me to a point. Security. (Guffman fans unite!) My annoying thing of the week is credit card offers. Here are a few from the last 2 weeks that I haven’t already shredded. These people are major predators.

In a July Good Housekeeping article, Clare Ellis said, “Stop the credit card offers. The average household receives 60 offers in the mail each year. Thieves can steal these, fill out the forms and open a new account in your name. Call 888-567-8688 to stop these offers.” I haven’t done it yet but typing this up just reminded me.

Not that I’m against the plastic. My financial advisor suggested that I keep a couple of accounts open, with my name as the primary cardholder, that I pay off every month so if something happens to Dan I will still have a credit history separate from his. But, come on, do you really think I’m just gonna sign up with the person who sends me the most offers? This is one area where I would definitely suggest some real research and comparison. The option of debt is too scary.

Oh, and some updates -

Laylee just begged me into watching a movie this morning. So guess who stopped by? Yup, our friends who only stop by when I'm in my bathrobe, the house is a mess and I've given up and let her watch TV. The timing is incredible.

toonsAlso, a package just came in the mail from Parenting Magazine. The note obviously got to someone because I/Laylee am now the proud owner of a free Looney Toons dish set. Yahoo! It’s actually super-cute.

4 Comments:

Blogger blackbird said...

So.
Not only are you good at playing show and tell, but you also offer timely tips!

10/14/2005 11:47 AM

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

I have actually signed up for that opt-out program. It helped so much!
Only, we have started getting a few more lately because we just bought our house.

10/14/2005 3:02 PM

 
Blogger Heather said...

Sacre Vache! Those kids are CUTE! I also hate the credit offerererers. :)

10/14/2005 3:18 PM

 
Blogger Kate B. said...

Cute kids! How old are they?
I give my junk mail to my children so they can shred it and leave trails of ripped paper around the house. It keeps them quiet for hours, as does anything that involves trashing the place.

10/15/2005 7:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home