On Her Flying Trapeze

Saturday, September 03, 2005

The Almighty Seam-Ripper

sep 03 blessing

My parents and parents-in-law are all in town for Big-O’s baby blessing in church tomorrow. I spent the greater part of last week cleaning and preparing for the visit and neglected to make the finicky little heirloom suit he will be wearing..um..tomorrow morning at 9am. So, grandmothers to the rescue! They have swooped in and done all of the difficult parts. When I mess up, I hand it to my mom and she rips it out for me. I feel like my two-year-old, repeatedly stating that I can do things “with myself” but then passing it off to mommy when the going gets rough, “No, YOU can do it.” It’s amazing that after 27 years the same dynamic still exists in our relationship to some degree. At least I know that just like when I was two, my mommy will rescue me if I really need help but also feel free to tell me to “forget it” or “knock it off” if I get obnoxious. It’s a great relationship. And after overcoming the guilt of welcoming my mothers into my home and then immediately drafting them to work in my little white satin sweatshop, I’ve come to realize how cool it will be to tell my son that his blessing suit was made by his mother and both of his grandmothers. Sometimes, procrastination can be a good thing. It’s also comforting to watch them work with me, teach me and then periodically grunt in frustration and ask for the seam-ripper. Even “grown-up” moms need a re-do every now and then.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You absolutely can "do it with yourself" - always could, but it's nice to still be needed occasionally. You are the best and I love you.

9/08/2005 4:55 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's fun... Mom told me it was all about you! that you did it all. She made it sound like you didn't need any help. (I knew she was right because you are amazing and can do anything. PS-Where are my pictures?

9/09/2005 8:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got you're pictures-
Big-O's Suit is so cute!!! I totally love it!!

9/13/2005 3:39 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I am WAY late in the game for this but I have to comment that his little suit is AMAZING.

1/06/2006 9:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home